Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

40s&w

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

can i get the info on this?

Originally Posted by mauser06
those montana golds....are they true jacketed bullets? or plated like rainer ballistics?? just curious...

price aint bad...135$ for 1000 180gr FMJ 40cal shipped...aint bad at all
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
semi auto? i am understanding you can use the brass twice...once brand new, and one reload..

i shot reloads on accident,
bought them at the range and they reload and put them in the empty boxes that people leave behind....
any ways...one exploded inside my glock, it felt like a fire cracker went off in my hand, the brass was cracked and jammed the next round up...after i cleared that i had to pull the brass out with needle nose pliers..

i'll never shoot a reload in any of my pistols again.

Ya just gotta love internet advise like this.

Add it to the list of

Things that make me go .....huh?

To the OP....I would not worry so much about exposed lead bullets as I would making sure I washed me hands and limited contact directly with said bullets.

Blue dot is always a fine choice in a 40 SW.

Last edited by skb2706; 03-11-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx SKB...im not worried about exposed lead...just dont wanna shoot all lead bullets...i'll spend the extra money just so i dont gotta clean the stuff outta my gun...

was just curious about rainer ballistics and other plated/coated copper bullets compared to a true jacketed bullet...didnt wanna find out i wasted 100$ on them....but sounds like they aughta work ok...and the monatana golds SEEM to be jackets bullets at a real good price...so that might be the way to go...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the gun but sometimes exposed lead bullets don't feed well unless the feedramp is polished out. Plated bullets I would expect to feed like jacketed bullets...again it may come down to a gun thing.

FYI - shooting 'reloads' of unknown origin or that you personally did not handload is a problem that manifests itself in exploding guns. Not to be compared with the millions of handloaded rounds fired every year in semi auto handguns by competent shooters.

Last edited by skb2706; 03-11-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mauser06
thanx SKB...im not worried about exposed lead...just dont wanna shoot all lead bullets...i'll spend the extra money just so i dont gotta clean the stuff outta my gun...

was just curious about rainer ballistics and other plated/coated copper bullets compared to a true jacketed bullet...didnt wanna find out i wasted 100$ on them....but sounds like they aughta work ok...and the monatana golds SEEM to be jackets bullets at a real good price...so that might be the way to go...

Nothing to SEEM about MG's.. Look at the top competitors using it. 180 JHP's sitting on Titegroup is the medicine for 40

Call them and ask for some samples.....
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i most certainly didnt mean the gun "exploded" into a million pieces...was just the feeling i had in my hand, like a fire cracker went off in it. sorry if i lead anyone to believe it actually exploded... the gun was fine after removing the split brass shell.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx Ris and SKB..

im skeptical to believe what manufacturers advertise these days...too much of that stuff goes on...think i'll order 1000 MGs soon...
Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
yeah i wanst making mine, and didnt even mean to run re-loads through,
the range re-loads and uses the old boxes people leave behind to sell them on the shelves...back then they didnt have the big sticker that they do now on the box that says re-loads....
so if i buy 1000 rounds for $135, whats to guarantee the wont crack the brass and jam in my gun. my glock has only jammed on that one occasion where the fire cracker went off in my hand, and i even sprinkled a lil sand in it one time and went through a 250 round box just to show my buddy it could do it. she is still good as new.
If you want to shoot reloads from a Glock, it is recommended that you get an after market barrel that has a fully supported chamber, especially if you are shooting a 40 Cal. 40 Cal has seemed to see the most KB's with reloads due to the 40's high pressure and the not fully supported chamber.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
If you want to shoot reloads from a Glock, it is recommended that you get an after market barrel that has a fully supported chamber, especially if you are shooting a 40 Cal. 40 Cal has seemed to see the most KB's with reloads due to the 40's high pressure and the not fully supported chamber.
I think you're referring to higher powered reloads. A typical load would be fine. Once you start pushing it, then you might get into trouble. But isn't that always the case?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Risasi
I think you're referring to higher powered reloads. A typical load would be fine. Once you start pushing it, then you might get into trouble. But isn't that always the case?
Factory 40SW loads are consistently nearer the top end than most other cartridges. This is why it is referred to as a "hot" round. You actually void your Glock warranty by shooting reloads in it due to the unsupported chamber. If you are using full power loads and hit on an old piece of brass with a weak spot that ends up right on the unsupported area of the chamber, KABOOOM.

I run reloads but I limit the brass to 4-5 loadings and use reduced loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.