Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Fire forming 280 AI brass >

Fire forming 280 AI brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Fire forming 280 AI brass

Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me too, I just had a box of ammo and wanted to shoot it up one day...I don't think I even reloaded it after it was ackleyed out...haven't had any trouble with Winchester or Lapua, yet!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Seems a lot of jabber about Remmy and Winny, nothing about Federal......out of the question or what?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
Seems a lot of jabber about Remmy and Winny, nothing about Federal......out of the question or what?
Went and checked and it was Federal that blew the shoulders out, not Remmy. But I did load up some 87gr V-Maxs with the Federal brass and I've only shot a couple but it looks like they shot good...don't remember just going by my binder of shot targets...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Damn, no love for federal. I think their shotshells are garbage anyway, except they still make purple 16 gauge shells.

Good info about fire forming, thanks...now just need get the gun built...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Federals are the main thing I shoot in Trap and Sporting Clays...sometimes STS's or Rio's...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Federals are the main thing I shoot in Trap and Sporting Clays...sometimes STS's or Rio's...

The talk about the "purple" 16 ga. reminded me of something that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this topic, but here goes anyhow.... For those who could care....I've found a site that sells old specification shotshells..i.e....2 1/2" 16 ga., 2 1/2" 12 ga., etc. They are of new manufacture and come in a choice of shot size, weight, and powder charge. I bought a case of them for my old Parker 16 double which has 2 1/2" chambers. The cost is surprisingly reasonable, I feel. The web address....www.rstshells.com. The name of the shells is RST, and they are located in Pennsylvania. OK... I'm done....
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Pa, caught ya on the other side....

The rest of ya need get on with B&P....Competition 2000 7/8's 7.5 at 1160 fps. Yep, sounds light and dainty but patterns like a dream. No kickey means you can shoot all day. They do have some heavy hitters if thats your liking.

http://www.bandpusa.com/

The lead in their shells looks like ball bearings. Feds got nada with them in the shotgun department, except purple, which I'll get for nostalgia...

B&P will have the fat brown santa put them on your door step for free..
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those B&P's look pretty good, just might have to order up a few cases...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Those B&P's look pretty good, just might have to order up a few cases...
If ya like a little more boom, try the Sporting Clays ouncers at 1260. If the guy that set up your Clays range is being a real jerk, the Ultra 1 1/8 cruising at 1330 will piss him off....

Head over to shotgun world.com and check the B&P forum, sometimes they'll give you magic little discount codes. Plus, you can see what scoop is on the different offerings....

In the words of Relentless.......you'll thank me later (grin)

(easy Mods, just a joke.........)
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
Damn, no love for federal. I think their shotshells are garbage anyway, except they still make purple 16 gauge shells.

Good info about fire forming, thanks...now just need get the gun built...
I've had bad luck with federal in more than one caliber. Seems the brass is soft. I've heard others on the net complain about it too. Primer pockets get loose quick.

As for shotshells, I load a lot of federals. The federal gold medal hull is as good as anything. Most of the rest is not so good.

I load steel shot, which is a whole 'nother breed of cat. I load federals partly because that is what I have, and partly because that is what the best recipes are for. The hulls aren't very good, often the crimps blow off straight out of the box new, so I can maybe reload them twice.

The aforemention gold medals have no problems. If you are loading lead, go with remmy sts, or nitro gold (they are the same) They are top notch, I've heard, although they don't have the capacity to load much steel shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.