Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Fire forming 280 AI brass >

Fire forming 280 AI brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Fire forming 280 AI brass

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default Fire forming 280 AI brass

better done with normal factory loaded ammunition or load lighter 280 rounds in new 280 brass..?

Obviously new 280 AI Norma brass is the way to go, just curious about fire forming..
Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Ackley improved cartridges are designed to headspace .004" shorter than the parents, so you can shoot 280 factory ammo, or use cornmeal and a papertowel plug if ya don't wanna waste bullets. here's how I turn 270 win cases into 6.5 Gibbs cases

resize to a crush fit in the 6.5 chamber
prime and charge with 11 gr of unique, put a finger over the case mouth and tap once on the bench to settle the powder
fill the case to the top of the case neck with corn meal, put a finger over the casemouth and tap once or so to settle the cornmeal to the bottom of the case neck

now tear a 1.5" wide strip off a paper towel and twist it into a skinny worm, stick it into the case neck, wad it in till full then pinch it off, use a small punch to pack the plug in tight.

keep muzzle pointed down, if you have a brake remove it, watch barrel heat (cause it'll get hot!) clean your barrel well when done, shoulders should come out just rounded on the edges, but will sharpen up nicely on the first full power firing.
RR
So would you expect better results after the second full power firing? Essentially the first full power load would finish the job of the cornmeal and paper towel. Correct?

Might be easier to just shoot some core-loks, at least just for a little pointless range time...Could any accuracy, even remotely, be expected?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
So would you expect better results after the second full power firing? Essentially the first full power load would finish the job of the cornmeal and paper towel. Correct?

Might be easier to just shoot some core-loks, at least just for a little pointless range time...Could any accuracy, even remotely, be expected?
.........You may be surprised at the accuracy you get with a decent fire--forming load... Some people have found it to be nearly equal to the formed case loadings. Like RR stated, you can shoot factory ammo in a properly constructed AI chamber and may or may not get acceptable accuracy, just as a given gun may or may not like a particular load that could be extremely accurate in someone else's gun of the same cartridge, bullet weight, powder weight, primer, etc. ........
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had fireform loads shoot 1/4" at 100...

Didn't Nosler just come out with .280 AI brass?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I've had fireform loads shoot 1/4" at 100...

Didn't Nosler just come out with .280 AI brass?

Yeah, which is probably how I'd go, just a little curious about fire forming methods.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just load up some cheap bullets with a stout (not max, but not min either) load of a cheap powder and go shoot...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I just load up some cheap bullets with a stout (not max, but not min either) load of a cheap powder and go shoot...

That's been my method also.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned

RR-
Great pix..so you are actually chambering the empty case to crush fit or is that the done with a resizer die? You ever have a problem with blown shoulders shooting factory rounds instead of the cornmeal process?

So essentially it would go through this order......(sans the blown shoulder)
Attached Thumbnails Fire forming 280 AI brass-gibbs.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've haven't lost any cases fireforming with Lapua brass, but I have lost a couple cases when fireforming with factory Remmy ammo...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, Remington is about my last choice for brass, period. It just doesn't seem as ductile as most others. For going on the "cheap", I'll take Winchester brass..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.