Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
precision reloading.... >

precision reloading....

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

precision reloading....

Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

and likely 3006 too id assume?
My 30-06 likes IMR4350 the best. Your Whelen might like that, too.

You should start a powder post. Let us know what calibers you are going to load for and we can let you know what works best for our guns of those calibers. Pick which one comes up most and compare it to your reloading manuals.

Do you have any magnums?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx RR...might try 55s...any idea of how heavy i can go with 1:14 and not HURT accuracy at all?? i honestly wouldnt mind going a bit heavy...i know lighter bullets and long range arent great things to say in the same sentence for the most part lol....

barnes, i might have to do that....

really only loading for the whelen, the 22-250 and atleast my 3006...maybe 2 of dads if he wants...(thats as of right now...)

the 22-250 is the project...thats the one i wanna get the most out of....

i got a 3/4" group from the whelen at 100yds...i dont know if me and the rifle together can do much better at 100yds...so im more than happy with that...just gotta make sure it repeats!

the mauser, i dont know what to expect from it as its got an original barrel that seen the war...ive never seen GREAT groups from it...but not to say handloads wont change that...

i'll have to look at my manuals...i honestly havent looked at anything but whelen info yet really...i wanted to get it loaded for while its still cold....

the 22-250 wont be till its warm...

and i took the scope off the mauser to shoot the whelen for the time being till i buy the whelen a scope....so cant load for the 06 till fall probably...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i got a 3/4" group from the whelen at 100yds
That's really good. Once I get to an inch with my hunting rifles, that's where I say "good enough" and use that recipe. If you can put .35 caliber hunting bullets in a 3/4" group at 100 yards, you have a damn fine hunting outfit.

Good luck with the 22.250. Sounds like a fun project. It can be as fun or as maddening as you make it

Not sure about that 30-06. Could be the rifle that limits your accuracy. But that Whelen will be an A+ deer and bear slayer.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx RR...i know its going to take experimentation...just like to try to get starting points to go off of....

barnes, i thought the same....i loaded up 5 with the same charge last nite...hopefully she shoots as well and i'll be done with the whelen...for now....i wont go back to the range till my trigger spring comes...for some reason its taking forever and a day to get here from half a state away lol....my guess is it shoulda been here but got caught in snow...hopefully monday....

heres the group....and yes, it measuered .74" ceneter to center as i read groups are officially measured..

to me its a 1" group measured as far as you can outside edge to outside edge...but i guess i always cheated myself? lol...but that group makes me more than happy...and i have a gut feeling that i could kept that high one with the other 2...im not used to shootin pretty lil groups..i seen those first 2 and took me 10mins to send the other as i was a bit anxious and excited about the first 2...gotta learn to quit lookin at the other bullets in the paper before the group is done...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's measured center to center. The center of the hole is where your bullet hit. Outside edge would vary on the tearing of the paper.

If you measured the outside edge, if you had two .458s right next to each other, it would be an inch. The same with a 22 would be .44 inch
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Measure Outside to Inside, Save on the math
Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm...thats explained better than some site i tried to read about official group measuring...but i musta done it right...black(dark) edge to dark edge is i hair over 1"...1.1 or less..center of the hole to center of the other farthest hole is right aroung .74ish...so either method gets me there..and i guess if you go outside edge to outside edge and subtract a bullet diameter, its exact...but hard to find an edge unless you got nice black holes like mine lol..

but, from a pump gun, im not sure i can expect a whole heck of alot more....

i got 5 loaded the same...hopefully it shoots that well again...but i wont shoot again till i get my trigger spring in....hopefully here monday...

that group makes me happy...im not one to settle, but reality of it is, im shootin a factory pump gun...im new to handloading...and the rifle is still pretty new..i got around 40 through it now..(actually need to document that before i shoot more just so i know...one thing i havent been writting down..)

but if it shoots that well again, im happy...might mess around with seating depth just to see if i can steal a hair more from her....just because...lol...how many sub-moa pump guns do you hear of? lol..i personally know that alot of them can be very good shooters...but theres a major myth that the rem pump guns arent accurate at all...

just got my fingers crossed thats repeatable...hate driving to the range for fire a 5 shot group and leave...but nothing else shot close to what that did..2 or 3 other charges were 1"-1.25" or so(didnt measure them..) but that one was by far the best..so i wont waste bullets and recoil till i find out if that group is repeatable or not...so im gunna shoot 5 and see what she does...will take a few loads with the same charge seated differently incase it DOES shoot that good again and shoot those and see if i cant tighten it more...if it shoots poor, i'll just pull those and start over...
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

finally got my trigger spring...im pretty happy with a 10$ part...it lightened it by about half or so...still a creepy sucker...and doesnt break real crisp...but i'll take it over the factory spring that was stiff and took probably double the weight to break it...

now to head to the range...not sure if i'll head today or not...