Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories >

hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories

Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 AM
bigcountry

One thing for sure. Experience cannot be purchased.

If a person as experienced all the hotrod, over pressure signs, they have experience. I mean we can talk about it, we can read about it in a manual, and even see little pretty pictures. But experience is earned, sometimes the hard way. I mean, if you was a race team owner, would you hire someone that has taken the safe "book" way thier whole career? Or would you hire someone that has a few bumps and bruises from life experiences?

I have experienced most of em. And still learning a thing or two all the time reloading top grade ammo. I feel no need to expose my reloading sins on this thread, and feel no need to knock someone with experience. As long as its not a habit.

If a guy comes on here and and constantly tells us he is having to knock open his bolt with a rubber mallet, I am going to wonder about this guys capability to reload safely.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b

and just for the record my i define hotrod within max pressure. i have never loaded any bullet past what my manual says
You're not being honest, if you experienced the incidents you listed in your first post you do indeed go past max pressure. And if you do it often during load development, as you just stated, you don't know how to safely develop loads.

Screw what the book says, the book was not written using your gun. You can blow up a gun following the book if you think those loads are safe in any gun.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

Dylan,

From what you are describing, I would guess that you are loading "too" hot. Just my advice, but I would back things off a little bit (or a lot).
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by spaniel
You're not being honest, if you experienced the incidents you listed in your first post you do indeed go past max pressure. And if you do it often during load development, as you just stated, you don't know how to safely develop loads.

Screw what the book says, the book was not written using your gun. You can blow up a gun following the book if you think those loads are safe in any gun.
primer ruptures happen alot with millitary actions especialy lee enfield actions that have had the bolt heads recplaced. if you fire form bullets, then you porlly know how often shoulders split. once fired cases also tend to be slightly weakened if they had a crimp over a cannelured bullet.

i will admit though i shouldnt have said i never load past max. i dont really have a good reason for the 30-30 thing. my father wanted a hot load for his h&r single shot so i made it. i admit that one was way past what i should have loaded but my father was willing to shoot it if i could make something that would work.

other then that im not out to loose a hand, i just like to find how hot i can go with each type of case before i settle on something so i know how far back i am from true max. i can understand why most guys just load for accuracy but i think it is important to at least have a standpoint in where a finalized load stands rather then leaving it to the books
Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b
primer ruptures happen alot with millitary actions especialy lee enfield actions that have had the bolt heads recplaced. if you fire form bullets, then you porlly know how often shoulders split. once fired cases also tend to be slightly weakened if they had a crimp over a cannelured bullet.

i will admit though i shouldnt have said i never load past max. i dont really have a good reason for the 30-30 thing. my father wanted a hot load for his h&r single shot so i made it. i admit that one was way past what i should have loaded but my father was willing to shoot it if i could make something that would work.

other then that im not out to loose a hand, i just like to find how hot i can go with each type of case before i settle on something so i know how far back i am from true max. i can understand why most guys just load for accuracy but i think it is important to at least have a standpoint in where a finalized load stands rather then leaving it to the books

.........Wow.........
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

As a point of intrest I have 2 savage 110s 1 in 308 1 in 3006 . The 308 will shoot max loads from any of my 4 books with 150s no signs and 180s to all but max but throws them all over . My 06 shoots 2700fps with the loads the book says are 2500fps with 150s . I loaded some that should have been about 2750 that hit over 3000 and shot 24" patterns all well within the "book numbers" and never "signed.

Living on the edge with hand loading is dumb, but....................... I did once "hot load" some gold dots in a 357 , not any info for 75 or 85 gr GD for 357 since they are for the 380 auto/9mm kurtz . Lota muzzle flash from 9gr of unique . I didnt have a chrono then . Seating depth plays a huge role in end pressure and velocity my example ; 45colts with a 90% load with an oal change from maximum to minimum showed me 985fps at the longest oal 1180 at the short oal . That is a huge jump in a cartridge with a max of 14000 psi standard and a +p of 22000 psi.

My thoughts , load for cost effectivity and accuracy and if I get a little more than a factory load or a heavier or lighter bullet yea me . It's about shooting more for me not seeing how fast I can make it go .
Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can determine where your max is to back down for a fast yet safe and accurate load without experiencing the symptoms you state you regularly see during load development....IF you know what you are doing.

If you don't, you should either not reload or shoot away from other people.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
You can determine where your max is to back down for a fast yet safe and accurate load without experiencing the symptoms you state you regularly see during load development....IF you know what you are doing.

If you don't, you should either not reload or shoot away from other people.
That is big time true. If you're doing this. You should be 25 feet from another person at least. More would be much better.

Tom