Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories >

hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories

Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Talking hotrod loads, lets hear your horror stories

ive never had the nads to make a load up that was to hot but ive got loads super hot enough to burn the neck and also burn and/or pierce the primer. i also split necks down to the shoulder, blew the rim off a 30-30 case and most my loads make the bolt sticky to lift. so lets here some of the crazy stuff you guys have done with your hotrod loads

p.s. im not starting this to be a brag board, dont wnat anybody cooking something up that will blow a gun up
Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always found a larger caliber when I want more. I do mostly varminting and have a love for varmint rifles. The problem for me is too many reloading dies, brass, loads, and varmint guns.
Rather than stoking a cartridge up, buy a larger gun.
Bottom line is 200fps does not make deader
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to be brutally honest here but this is just a dumb post. No way, No how should anyone ever make a load "SUPER HOT"!! If you're doing load development and do not how to read signs of pressure on you cases you should never try to push the envelope. Stick to the book, work up slow to the books max load which in most instances will never be in danger of damaging a firearm. This post is going to nothing but give reloaders that know what they are doing a bad name.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a couple of loads over the years that sound like yours..
They were the result of using a canister of powder that was given to me and supposedly had been stored properly, but WHO KNOWS..??..

They scared the crap out of me.. I have no interest in repeating that experience..
Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming your firing pin is shaped correctly and not protruding excessive, in order to pierce/blow out a primer you have to be pushing 80,000+psi.

And to blow the case head off you have got to be hovering near 100,000 psi.

Do you load like this often?

Take pictures for us when you end up in the hospital.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been stupid enough to do anything close to what you describe. Certainly not stupid enough to think it's a good idea to brag about such things on the internet.

When I get a sticky bolt, hint of extractor mark, or any primer cratering, I consider that max and back off before settling on a load.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Savage 110 in .270.Was at the range with a bud.Everything was going fine let my bud shoot one .Seemed extra loud, Then he got the strangest look you have ever seen.Ask me WTF.Said it kicked some kind of terrible.Looked through the spoting scope and it hit about 8" high.Went to bolt another round and did not happen.Had to take a nylon hammer and beat the bolt up and open,Then had to use a steel rod to beat the brass out of the chamber.Primer was glued to the bolt face .Took out the extractor and ejector.Savage sent me new parts (springs ,detents and the like ).When I got it back together it woud not cycle hand loads anymore but worked fine with factory stuff.Evidently some how I got to much powder in just that one round .Could not have been a double charge case would not hold that much so I WOULD have noticed.Don't know if it was 1 grain or 10? Lucky nobody got hurt.I always hand weigh each of my bolt rifle rounds.Still to this day don't know how or what I did.This could have just as easily been a REAL horror story.

Spaniel,Not bragging but threw this out for everybody as a warning for new AND experienced loaders.PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUll!!
Just goes to show anything can happen at any given time.I just hope maybe this will possibly help or save somebody down the road sometime..............Alton
Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
And to blow the case head off you have got to be hovering near 100,000 psi.
Not always. A fatigued case can do this. It will get thinner and thinner in front of the webbing. Thats why I am not a big fan of hero's who brag they loaded a case 15 times.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not always. A fatigued case can do this. It will get thinner and thinner in front of the webbing.
This is true and he didn't say how many times it had beenloaded. I am thinking brass that is new or only loaded a couple of times. And he is talking about a 30-30 which is a very low pressure cartridge so case thinning isn't much of a problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dylan_b
ive never had the nads to make a load up that was to hot but ive got loads super hot enough to burn the neck and also burn and/or pierce the primer. i also split necks down to the shoulder, blew the rim off a 30-30 case and most my loads make the bolt sticky to lift. so lets here some of the crazy stuff you guys have done with your hotrod loads

p.s. im not starting this to be a brag board, dont wnat anybody cooking something up that will blow a gun up
I suppose you'd keep petting a snarling dog, too.

I don't intentionally "hot rod" loads because I'm not an idiot.

I really hope you have good health and life insurance, because you're playing with a ticking bomb intentionally loading up to the point you're regularly getting pressure signs. Someday (soon, probably) you're going to rupture a case head on a "hot rod" 80KPSI+ load, and you, or someone near you, are going to get hurt... or worse.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 12-28-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.