Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Bullet density and Ballistic Coefficients >

Bullet density and Ballistic Coefficients

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet density and Ballistic Coefficients

Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that equation is the one manufacturers use to ESTIMATE a bullets BC. The "form factor" variable is the one where manufacturers fudge. It would give a valid relative comparison between two bullets of identical shape, but the BC number won't necessarily conform to real world performance. You have to shoot the bullet to get an accurate MV and another accurate velocity reading downrange (at several distances if using the G1 standard), then, adjusting for atmospheric conditions, the average G1 BC can be calculated. If one uses the G7 standard with boattail bullets, the BC will remain much more constant over the entire velocity range, but the BC number will be smaller compared to the G1 BC. The G1 BC, when applied to bullets with a longer than 2 radius tangent ogive, secant ogive or boattail (which is most of the bullets fired from modern CF rifles), will change (decrease) as the velocity decreases. So a spitzer BT bullet at 3000 fps might have an actual G1 BC of .500, but at 2500 fps the BC may only be .450. At 2000 fps the BC might only be .375. If you use the .500 BC number (which is probably the number published by the manufacturer) in a ballistics calculator to calculate the elevation for a long range shot, you would likely miss low because the G1 BC doesn't remain constant as the bullet loses velocity. The G7 standard is much better for most rifle bullets because the drag model closely matches the G7 standard bullet, meaning that the BC changes very little if at all over the entire flight of the bullet. But manufacturers are reluctant to switch to it because the G7 BC number itself is far smaller than the G1 BC (for example, a Berger .308cal 185gr VLD has a G1 BC of 0.549, but a G7 BC of 0.281, but the G7 BC will give much more accurate to real world results when used with a ballistics program like JBM).

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Is this correct? I thought BC was your friction coef (drag) in force vector analysis. I didn't know SD was part of it. You could be correct, just didn't know that.

Just did some research, guess your correct.
The best way to explain why in simple terms is that "An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force". For a bullet the external force is air resistance. For both the copper and lead bullet of the same shape the air resistance is actually the same.

The reason the lead bullet carries its velocity better is that its additional weight makes it harder too slow down due to higher FT/LBS momentum. So more air resistance is required to stop the object of greater mass.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Z
Thanks mike,
However, I'm still not getting anything related to the flight characteristics of 2 different bullets made of materials with differing densities.

Here's a scenario that might help understand the question. Let's assume that we have 2 bullets. One made of lead, one made of copper. They are formed in the same mold, loaded in the same rifle and shot at the same speed. What is the difference? Surely there is something, beyond what a calculator using BC and velocity tells us.
Your question is flawed. This is an impossibility. If two bullets are made of solid copper and solid lead, while being the exact same shape and size, the lead bullet will weigh more. That obviously means it won't be starting as fast with the same charge of powder behind it.

And if you want to switch it around so that the two bullets weigh the same, then their shape will be different. The copper bullet would be elongated and more aerodynamic, unless of course you wanted to make it a flat based round nose and have the lead bullet be a boat tailed spitzer...

Last edited by jason miller; 11-19-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

JM,
I understand what you're saying. However, even if we elongated the copper bullet to retain the same mass it's BC suffers. Have you seen the Barnes MRX? It has a dense alloy in the rear of the bullet to give it additional penetration, and a higher BC compared to other plain-copper barnes bullets (it's expensive though ).
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

JM,
I understand what you're saying. However, even if we elongated the copper bullet to retain the same mass it's BC suffers. Have you seen the Barnes MRX? It has a dense alloy in the rear of the bullet to give it additional penetration, and a higher BC compared to other plain-copper barnes bullets (it's expensive though ).
In the lighter for caliber bullets the copper bullets will have more potential for a higher BC. Take for example the ETip 150 grain with .469BC and 168 grain with .503BC. They are very long and sleek for their weight and have an advantage in Form Factor.

However as the bullets get heavier the copper bullets loose their advantage in form factor because they must be made to be stablilized in standard twist barrels and the bullet length must be limited. This results in a more rounded nose section in order to add mass in the length allowed in a given twist rate. The Form Factor suffers slightly from the relatively blunt nose.

The reason Barnes adds the dense material is to maintain the sleek nose section and still be within a length that can be stabilized. So in heavy bullets 200 - 240 grain 30 cal lead will actually have an advantage in BC potential.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

SG,

I thought I read somewhere that the length and toughness of the copper led to the requirement of the "triple-shock" bands to reduce bering surface and pressure.

Anyways, let's pretend we have a copper and lead bullet of the same mass. The stabilization and velocity are not limiting factors in our pretend setup. They are both stabilized adequately and are shot at the same speed. They are both of a similar aerodynamic shape, but the copper bullet is obviously longer and sleeker to maintain the equal mass. Under what conditions can we assume that one bullet will be better than the other? Will the lead, with its greater density always have the higher BC? Will its density make up for its less-sleek shape?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

SG,

I thought I read somewhere that the length and toughness of the copper led to the requirement of the "triple-shock" bands to reduce bering surface and pressure.

Anyways, let's pretend we have a copper and lead bullet of the same mass. The stabilization and velocity are not limiting factors in our pretend setup. They are both stabilized adequately and are shot at the same speed. They are both of a similar aerodynamic shape, but the copper bullet is obviously longer and sleeker to maintain the equal mass. Under what conditions can we assume that one bullet will be better than the other? Will the lead, with its greater density always have the higher BC? Will its density make up for its less-sleek shape?
If the length of the bullets is not limited the copper bullet will always have a higher potential BC.

This is the case with lighter for caliber bullets.

With the heavy for caliber bullets stabilization requirements will limit length and lead will actually have an advantage. So the answer to which is better depends on the application.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks SG,

You've ultimately summarized it: The conditions are not necessarily set, although generally copper bullets have more potential in light-mid weights and those that are primarily concentrated of lead would be the choice at heavier weights. And also, if two bullets are shaped the exact same, the denser one will have the higher BC. Another file is in the brain.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Relentless Pursuit
Gags,

Quit guessing...(please).

Should you be enthralled with faux boolit length,please muse the Lapua Scenar and it's grandiose air-filled nose cone. It's HP nose is stretched,to add copious BC and that increased length mandates reserve twist RPM...despite it's launch speeds being inordinate to it's actual BC value(s).

Do homogenous copper BC's trump cup/core values...as a rule?!!? NOPE...........
"As a rule" I am sceptical of things that sound to good to be true. I looked at the 155 Scenar bullet a while back because its claimed BC.508 was so high relative other bullets in its weight range.

As one would expect when actual measured numbers were compared to the claimed numbers by knowledgeable shooters the claimed BC was significantly overstated. Measured BC came in at around .459. Keep in mind that the Scenar is a match bullet and its construction is not limited by the integrity demands of the hunting bullet you are comparing it to.

That big hollow area behind the point is just a great engineering solution to overcome the density disadvantage of lead in the lighter bullets without the cost of copper.

If you are comparing match bullets to hunting bullets it is apples and oranges but even at that the lead bullets come up short to the new copper hunting bullets from Nosler.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

.505 is their claimed and actual BC,though of course atmosphere and temp particulars,do change all BC's every day. The 155 Scenar's supeerklative BC is easy to glean from even a casual glimpse as it's length/profile readily concur. Set it next to 168 or 175SMK's,for conversation. It smokes the newly reconfigured 155 Palma SMK as well. I shoot the Scenar by the jazillion and my elevation erector's have no bias built in.

As an aside,Scenar terminal affects are far more reliable than the oft touted SMK,espoused by the Mall Ninja Faction. The Scenar's faux nosecone,is a simplistic and effective approach to increasing projectile length,while adding a favorable BC profiling to a given weight.

I much prefer V-Max and A-Max upon Critters,to the oft touted NBT. Prefer Scenar's to them as well.

Lapua BC's are spot on,as a minimum.........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.