Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nosler Partitions >

Nosler Partitions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler Partitions

Old 06-11-2003, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Nosler Partitions

115gr Nosler Partition is a great deer bullet. The 120 is built a little tougher than the 115 for those folks who may want to use the caliber for elk hunting.

The Partition is not NECESSARY to kill a deer. I use 117 Sierra Gamekings for deer and it does a great job as well.
If I am going into an area to hunt for large trophy bucks I always load up the Partitions for the extra margin of confidence they give me. The Partitions just work and I don' t have to give a second thought as to whether the bullet will do its job when using them.
I use them in my .300 win mag as well for hunting bear and elk. Never had one fail to do the job. They seem to have the perfect mix of expansion vs. penetration.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:32 PM
bigcountry

I don' t know oldelk, I kinda like seeing the damage a bullistic tip makes when hit broadsided with no shoulder bone in the way.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well after countless load combinations, juggling powder, primers, seating depth etc, i' ve decided to put the partitions on the back burner for a while due to frustration[:@] and the fact that they just don' t seem to want group under 2" at 100yds[X(] no matter what combination i use and thats just not an acceptable group for me. I' m not giving up on the partitions because i' d really like to shoot them so i' ll come back to them later when my frustration level drops some. [:-] I' m going to load up some Hornady 117 btsp this weekend in hopes of better results. I went yesterday and bought some Reloder 22 and Reloader 19 to go along with the powders i already have (4350,4831,7828) and hopefully i' ll find a sweet spot in there somewhere. Thanks for all the imput and feedback. God Bless!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:25 AM

Hope you find your magic combination somewhere in that group.

For me the magic combination is the 117Sierra Gameking, H4831sc powder, Federal magnum match primers, 3215fps velocity, 24inch barrel.

Excellent deer bullet, the Gamekings hold together surprisingly well. I have had complete passthroughs on deer and antelope at from 100 to 350 yards. I prefer
the 115gr Partitions if I am on a trophy mulie hunt with the opportunity for really large bucks.
If the Hornady' s don' t work try the Sierra' s.
The Nosler Ballistic tips work great for a lot of people as far as accuracy and will kill a deer dead for sure. For me I do not like the terminal performance, too much wasted meat if you hit anywhere near the shoulder.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

noway.....when you load the 115grn nosler partition what is your COL with that bullet and what is your OAL with the sierra if you don' t mind sharing that information. Sierra, Hornady, Speer and other bullet manufacture' s give a mfg bullet oal but nosler only shows the SAAMI OAL in their manual. Thank You!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Mykey,
I don' t pay any attention to the COL given in the books.
I make up a round with no powder or primer in it. I seat the bullet out aways,
then I put it in the rifle chamber and see if the bolt will close with no pressure, if not I take it out and push the bullet in a little further and try it again. As the round gets closer to chambering with no pressure I push the bullet in less each time. Eventually the bolt will close easily on the cartidge in the chamber with no pressure, then I take the cartridge out and measure it and use that for my COL. Sounds like a long process but only take a couple minutes.
I only reload for hunting so this process works for me. Tweaking the distance from the lands is not going to be the major factor in your accuracy equation, it is normally more of a fine tuning tool. If you use a combination of brass powder primer and bullet that your gun likes you will have an accurate load with any reasonable distance from the lands. The biggest factors are the bullet and powder you use. I have seen loads that shoot well under an inch do it with the bullet seated just off the lands and the same loads shoot just as well with the bullet way back from the lands (pressure experimenting).
If you try a load with H4831sc 117gr Sierra Game kings and federal magnum match primers and it doesn' t shoot well then try the 115gr Nosler ballistic tip.
If neither one of them group then your rifle may not be capable of great accuracy.

I have spent years tweaking loads for accuracy in different rifles, you can really drive yourself crazy working with too many variables. Pick one powder, H4831sc, one brand of brass (Win or Rem) one primer (Fed match magnum).
I know from experience this combination works from working with several different
25-06' s. Now your only variables are amount of powder and the bullet.
Most rifles will handle the max load from the load data books start a couple grains under that.
From my experience the 117gr Sierra gameking, 115gr Nosler Ballistic tip are generally the most accurate 25 caliber bullets that I have tried. I have tried various Barnes bullets, Partitions, Hornadys, Speers in 100 to 120grains.

Obviously I don' t know your level of experience so I may be preaching to the choir with all this info. I do not claim to be a reloading expert as lots of folks reading this can tell.
I do have lots of experience reloading with the 25-06 and searching for accurate loads, that is why I am now on my third 25-06, I finally found one that would shoot. Ruger Mark II. For what it is worth this is the process that has worked for me.
Good luck!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:31 AM

Good luck with your experimenting, hope you find that magic load.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]