Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 nosler partitions >

nosler partitions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

nosler partitions

Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 PM
jjt

Default nosler partitions

I have not been able to recover many nps do to the pass thru i usually get but on 2 of the 3 i have recovered i have totally lost the front lead

has anyone else experienced this?

bullett weight if any one is interested starting weight 150 gr .270
180 yrds entrance front shoulder (only bone hit) 94 gr remaining buck mule deer
100 yrd shot double shoulder 128 gr remaining buck antelope
78 yrd entrance rib exit shoulder knuckle 90 gr remaining spike bull elk
Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM

Default RE: nosler partitions

jjt, thats exactly why I no longer shoot them. BUT like John Lazzeroni has told me about retained weight vs terminal performance... " You found the animal didnt you, does it really matter then what they bullet weighs?" I guess he' s right, but I' ve always preferred a bullet that performs like a Xbullet, Trophy Bonded, Failsafe etc... to a bullet that sheds it nose and you are left with fragments and only a shank. But it sounds like with the shots you took and got full penetration (lol and most importantly, recovered the animal!) you are still doing fine and cant really complain about a loss.

As much as the last 10 years have brought us in terms of bullet technology and performance, I believe the next 5-10 will make them pale in comparison. For the last 50 years we big-game hunters have had basically two choices. 1). Great terminal peformance with sacrificed accuracy (Xbullets, Trophy Bonded, Grand Slams etc...) or 2). The opposite, sacrificed terminal performance with great accuracy (Matchkings, Ballistic Tips etc...). New bullets are being developed (Barnes/Lazzeroni/Robar with their Lazerheads and another company in Africa whose name escapes me right now.) that combine the best of both worlds and of course guns and shooting equipment in general have continually made improvements in accuracy abilities.

Its gonna be FUN!
RA

ps
lol not bein picky or pokin fun but with 3 shots and 3 busted shoulders, you might wanna move your targetspot 2" back!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not a fan of the Nosler Partician....But I assure you that there are a very large number of supporters.

I used Swift A-Frames on my African Safari and never recovered a single bullet.

It' s your money...spend it your way...I' ll do the same.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong and correct me if i am but i think the Partition is designed to shed the front end of the bullet due to very rapid expansion with the remaining back of the bullet retaining it' s weight to drive the bullet through. I' ve killed a lot of deer with the Partition and regardless to what people say it doesn' t always pass through or at least for me that hasn' t always been the case. With a 30.06 and 25.06 i' ve recovered several partitions which were nicely mushroomed and several that had come apart. Let me add that i' ve had more pass through shots with the partition shooting deer then i have that were not pass throughs but i still get the same results whether it went completely through or not which is dead deer. The partition is without a doubt a good bullet and i would recommend it to anyone if they want to spend the money. I stopped using the partitions because i just don' t see the need to pay that kind of money for a bullet when i can get twice the quanity of a cheaper bullet (Hornady, Speer, Sierra) that kills just as dead for less money. This is just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mykey....no, the Partician is NOT designed to lose the foreward section of lead. It' s a failure of the bullet. Interesting however, it' s such a fine bullet that it kills most everything it' s shot at anyway, despite this failure.

The Nosler Partician just happens to be among the finest bullets ever conceived.... It' s as good today as it ever was....

However we as handloaders are now confronted with a lot of other choices....bonded, expanding solids, and bonded particians to name a few.

For deer it may be a moot point.....anything works.....however there' s more to life than deer.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last time I checked hunting bullets were designed to bring a quick lethal death to animals. How they perform this I really don' t care only that they do it in a very consistent fashion. Out of all my own experience and whatever has been posted here and read there, even using hearsay partitions always seem to do the job. I don' t know how you can improve on them. I have never lost an animal using them and on the other side of the spectrum I haven' t lost one using corelockts either. Who said a bullet had to be in one piece when exiting an animal anyway? These idiots(gunwriters) that are fueled by the ammo companies money just come up with stuff to muddy the water. There are any number of quality bullets out there(barnes swift trophy bonded. Hornady. Speer Sierra. CT.etc etc etc) and they have been rehashed here several billion times..just pick what shoots out of your gun the best and is a proven killer and forget the shearing off of the nose nonsense about partitions.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vapodog...i stand corrected, thanks for correcting me! I never knew it was bullet failure because i' ve heard of quite a few cases where the partition came apart so i took for granted it was suppose to, but like already mentioned it has always gotten the job done. The partition has a lot of loyal followers and for a specific task such as a paid hunt for Elk or really big Mulies or bigger game i would call upon it' s services again without hesitation. Like you said i think it' s a mute point for deer because anything will work if put in the vitals.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best failure I ever saw. The Partition does its job every time. Just as many people think it is dedigned to shed the front as say it is not. All I know it that it raises hell inside and the animal goes down dead. I quess I could ask more of it but I don,t know what. In twewnty five years and 100' s of head of game in 10 or so different rifles, they have done exactly what the were designed to do. Kill quick and final.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:09 AM

ps
lol not bein picky or pokin fun but with 3 shots and 3 busted shoulders, you might wanna move your targetspot 2" back!!!
As a fan of the shoulder shot to avoid trailing deer thru wet bogs and regrowth that you can' t see the ground in(the deer always are near this cover up here and always run straight into it),if I don' t break one and preferably both shoulders with my shot I' m having a bad day.There is no shot outside of head and neck that will drop them dead in their tracks any faster than a solid shoulder shot.I' d rather give up a little shoulder hamburger and have him on the ground in front of me than making circles in the thick stuff and sloughs hoping to trip over my deer somewheres.Since going to the shoulder shot I' ve only had one deer make it out of sight(out of 12 deer) and that was barely,at least six of them were over 200-250# northern deer.It works for me,quit with the thru the slats H&L shots that give a high percentage of death runs.

no, the Partician is NOT designed to lose the foreward section of lead. It' s a failure of the bullet

When penetrating a paritions nose doesn' t just " fall off" ......after mushrooming it fragments like a grenade.The reason the paritions only retain about 60% of weight.After expansion and a deadly wound channel, the rear portion or heel punches on thru for an exit wound and better blood trail in most cases.They are " designed" to do this.......the above description of how they perform is by JOHN NOSLER in the Nosler Reloading Guide.If they don' t encounter any bone they usually mushroom and with heavier contact there will be very little to no nose still intact.Best of both worlds......quick expansion from the nose and drive thru from the base. No bullet failure.........they were MADE and DESIGNED to work that way......I think John would pretty much know what he created them to do.You are 100% correct Mykey.

woods
Old 10-08-2003, 09:27 AM

woods, I agree with " breakin em down" too. But I have found its MUCH easier to do so with a Xbullet or Trophy Bonded than a Partition. I personally think the Partitions are simply a victim of their own age. When John Nosler (a man whom I admired greatly btw) first invented the Parts, todays slow powders, superhot primers and " ultramag" technology didnt exist. I believe the design is more at home in a 270/30' 06, 7Mauser and 308 type cases than in 7mags and bigger cases.

JMHO,
RA

Quick Reply: nosler partitions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.