Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
what to do w/ primers seated to deep? >

what to do w/ primers seated to deep?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what to do w/ primers seated to deep?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what to do w/ primers seated to deep?

the title says it all...should i chamber it and pop it off and then re prime it? i have 4 out of 20. i hate to chuck them since 350 brass isnt too common

by the way these arent loaded rounds. only sized and primed

thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM
bigcountry

You can carefully deprime, but I hate doing it. I would fire em off. A freind had one fire off while depriming with a universal deprimer, and I have been hesitate ever since.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i figured the safest way would be to fire them. i must have joe armstronged them more then i thought on a few. they are about .012!! i dont want godzilla buck to walk by and have my rifle not go boom o i think i should re prime.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I have poorly seated or "too deep" of a seat with my .40 loads I soak them in water for about an hour, drain'm and let dry and deprime. I do wrap a towel around my press for each load just in case but have never had one go off yet (out of a couple dozen or so over the last year)
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ease them out with my decapper, but firing them is the extra safe way
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is seating a primer too deep an issue with certain cartridge or pistol brass or something like that?

How critical is primer seating depth?

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

If the primer will set one off without the powder and bullet in it then just load up like normal and shoot away... why waste the primers... it the firing pin will hit it, just shoot it.. you can use the de-priming pin in the die also, just don't slam it down, ease it down and you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever, if you don't feel safe, put some water in the case and deprime it that way !!

DSTATJUNK...in an ordinary hunting and plinking rifle, NO...they are so sloppy in the neck and chamber area that it doesn't matter.. in a benchrester with super tolerances, YES....but that's another story..
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pnut
When I have poorly seated or "too deep" of a seat with my .40 loads I soak them in water for about an hour, drain'm and let dry and deprime. I do wrap a towel around my press for each load just in case but have never had one go off yet (out of a couple dozen or so over the last year)
FYI In independent tests primers have been soaked in water for up to 4 weeks and still had a fire rate of over 90%.

Normally if you strong arm it when you seat primers it will deform them and you will see that right away. I have never been able to seat them "too deep" but I've never really tried. You can push them back out if you are careful but I would check to make sure of a couple of things before I reseated new ones.
1. are you using the correct primers ....large rifle as opposed to large pistol
2. are the pockets correct depth
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with skb. Just be careful and gentle when pushing them out. I've done it many times, and no bad experiences. Also, I really can't remember of ever seating a primer too deep....are you sure you are using the correct ones for the case?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Spray the primers with WD40 with the long red nozzel thingy, wait 10min and de-prime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.