Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
what to do w/ primers seated to deep? >

what to do w/ primers seated to deep?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what to do w/ primers seated to deep?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea they are the right primers. it just bothers me because im usually pretty particular but i was watching the bruins game at the same time and i think i was getting excited!!! im gonna mic all the ones i did and find the deepest one, step outside and chamber it and snap it off. if it fires i think ill load 'em up. thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You learned a valuable reloading lesson... NEVER handload with distractions present. One day you'll make a mistake that you won't catch and it could be your last.

What I don't get is how you could seat a primer too deep. If the primer pocket is in spec, a primer will only go so deep before it can't go any further. If the primer is deeper than spec, then either the primers are too thin (not likely), or the primer pockets are too deep. The latter is more likely the cause of this problem. This can happen either due to manufacturing defects (pocket punched too deep from out of tolerance machines), or from excessive primer pocket cleaning/reaming. I had some problems with this cleaning primer pockets with the steel brush meant for hand use but chucked up in a drill.

Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
What I don't get is how you could seat a primer too deep.
Mike
Perhaps he used the SmallRifle priming rod, in an RCBS hand held/autoprime, instead of the LargeRifle rod.....actually uniformly crushing/denting the tops of the primers....

Or maybe turned the rod around and used the rounded side, instead of the Flat side of the priming rod.....

This has NEVER happened to me

Or anyone else, right?....

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 10-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

to touch on a couple of you fellas replies, the deepest was .009 to be exact. i went back and micd' em all a little more accurately. as far as cleaning my pockets all i used was a hollow ground screw driver that fits perfectly after i had tumbled just to take off the heavy and it worked slick.

also the priming rod was the large and correctly in place end to end.

i fired off the few t5hat were deeper then i would like and they poped off w/ out any problems and the firing pin seemed to be hitting about as deep as always. situation is taken care of thanks guys