Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Finding load infomation >

Finding load infomation

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Finding load infomation

Old 08-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again Guys.
So i went home last night and practiced loading 2 bullets on empty cases. I did it exactly as prescribed by BC (no crimp). Everything went well and was actually pretty easy.

However. I loaded the bullet mouth to the top of the cannelure where i could barely see it anymore. When i compared it to Federal and Winchester factory rounds that i have the overall length was about 1/16th inch higher than both of those

Is this a problem?
What is the maximum overall length (including bullet) for this round?

My manual only talks of case length which was the same
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 AM
bigcountry

Well, there are SAAMI specs for max COL for 7mm Rem Mag. I think its 3.29". But it doesn't really matter. What matters is pressure signs, and does it fit in your magazine and will it chamber without shoving yourbullet into the rifling. Reason for the max SAAMI specs (IMO) is to make sure your not shoving the bullet into the rifling. Most companies these days cut the throat so long, it doesn't matter. They do it for pressure reasons IMO.

There are a few tricks to find out what is the max you can load a bullet in your gun. Bunch of tools out there to measure it like stoney point's and I think hornady bought them. I like em, not totally necassary. But another cool toy.

But you can take a sized case, take a dremel tool and split the neck and little into the shoulders on one side. This way you can insert a bullet and it will hold but will also move. Chamber it in your rifle, and carefully, ( I mean carefully) remove the brass/bullet combo. And measure the total length. Do this for a few bullets and a few times. This will tell you how far you can load too. But then you need to make sure it fits in the mag.

If you get a lot of variation, don't be alarmed. The ends of bullets vary due to being lead. Proper way to measure a bullet like this is at the ogive. This is where the bullet makes contact with the lands and groove. And again, lots of tools out there to measure at the ogive. But right now just keep it simple.

Originally Posted by DannyD
Thanks again Guys.
So i went home last night and practiced loading 2 bullets on empty cases. I did it exactly as prescribed by BC (no crimp). Everything went well and was actually pretty easy.

However. I loaded the bullet mouth to the top of the cannelure where i could barely see it anymore. When i compared it to Federal and Winchester factory rounds that i have the overall length was about 1/16th inch higher than both of those

Is this a problem?
What is the maximum overall length (including bullet) for this round?

My manual only talks of case length which was the same

Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

So BC. using that Dremel trick what we would be looking for is how far the bullet gets pushed back into the case? Then i can use that as my max length?
provided it also fits in the mag and feed properly of course
Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 AM
bigcountry

So BC. using that Dremel trick what we would be looking for is how far the bullet gets pushed back into the case? Then i can use that as my max length?
provided it also fits in the mag and feed properly of course
You got it. Just cut one side of the neck down to the shoulder. If you cut too much in the shoulder, then it won't hold the bullet tight enough.

If after doing a few times the bullet gets loose,just take your thumb and bend the neck in to retighten. Every gun I got, I have a dumby brass for this purpose.

I keep wantign to make a few videos on this and other reloading topics, but I dont' have a decent camera to do it.

I did some tests comparing split case to having a stoney point tool. Its fairly accurate, but you need to factor in about .005" for the jamming in teh rifling.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/reloadin...l-results.html

Old 08-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Please don't see this as stepping on your toes. But I disagree. I have been down the partial FL sizing road quite a bit and came up not happy. Its ok if you have some gauges to see what your doing. See how much variance you are getting in your shoulder measurements. But one thing I found out is sometimes a die not cammed over can cause runout and shoulder measurements that are all over the place up to .010". If I go that route, I suggest folks by some lee collet dies or redding bushing dies and do it properly.

I know John Barshness is big on this, and I have debated it with him online before. Turns out he never knew what the shoulder length measurements were or the effect it has. He said he just keeps backing up until its tight to chamber. Might as well have a varying headspaced rifle IMO.
I wouldn't call it partial FL sizing, but maybe it really is. What I was trying to get at, and what happened to me, is don't over do the FL sizing. When I started out, I was doing exactly what Lee's directions stated. The brass loaded fine, shot fine, but after 3 or less firings, brass began to separate. I found out that I was sizing them way too much. When I finally got the tools to determine the amount I was sizing, I understood the problem that I was running into. Since then I have been carefully measuring the amount of sizing being done to my brass I am now on my 5th firing of my last 50 pcs. of brass for the 7mmRM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by #40Fan
I wouldn't call it partial FL sizing, but maybe it really is. What I was trying to get at, and what happened to me, is don't over do the FL sizing. When I started out, I was doing exactly what Lee's directions stated. The brass loaded fine, shot fine, but after 3 or less firings, brass began to separate. I found out that I was sizing them way too much. When I finally got the tools to determine the amount I was sizing, I understood the problem that I was running into. Since then I have been carefully measuring the amount of sizing being done to my brass I am now on my 5th firing of my last 50 pcs. of brass for the 7mmRM.
All true. No doubt. I neck size or collet size every caliber. I can get 7 firings if I do this, even with 300RUM.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

OH Heck!!
So, ok i load 56g of IMR4831, 154g Hornady interlock bullet. all seems to go well.

PRIMERS!!! Before I started I went to the shop and i told the guy what i was loading and he gave me a box of CCI 200 primers.
Well now i read a few articles and it says i need to buy large rifle magnum primers not just large rifle primers.

So, i have 5 cartridges made in the above specs but have used CCI 200's rather than CCI 250's.

Shoot them ?
disassemble ?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
bigcountry

OH Heck!!
So, ok i load 56g of IMR4831, 154g Hornady interlock bullet. all seems to go well.

PRIMERS!!! Before I started I went to the shop and i told the guy what i was loading and he gave me a box of CCI 200 primers.
Well now i read a few articles and it says i need to buy large rifle magnum primers not just large rifle primers.

So, i have 5 cartridges made in the above specs but have used CCI 200's rather than CCI 250's.

Shoot them ?
disassemble ?
You can shoot em with 4831. You really want mags for any powder with burning rate above IMR4350. But you can get by with 200's. If you told me you were shooting RL25, definately mags. Or if you said you were hunting Alaska, go with mags.

Sometimes little mistakes like this pay off big. I didn't have any Varget or 4064 on hand for my 7mm-08 and I wanted to go shooting, so I loaded some IMR4350 adn was shocked how good it shot. I am talking sub0.5MOA. And its not an ideal powder for 7mm08 but go with what works.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I have shot fed. 210's in my 7mm AM, it helps the temp sensativity of shooting a whole bunch of very slow burning ball powder.

Big, IMR 4350 has always been a front runner in my 243, 7mm/o8, and light bullet 270 win loads. I even shoot it in my 7mm JDJ handgun, and my AR chambered in 25 wssm.
RR
Its been great for me. When I say it was not ideal, I mean its extremely compressed, and over 100% load density. I doubt I am getting even close to pressure limits. Where everybody considers Varget ideal for 308 or 7mm-08.

You run Fed210's with ball? You don't mean Fed215's?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again BC
Well. I'm off to the range this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it goes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.