HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Finding load infomation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/299532-finding-load-infomation.html)

DannyD 08-03-2009 06:01 AM

Finding load infomation

This will be my first dive into the reloading pool
I just bought a RCBS reloading kit. It came with a reloading manual and it does show quite a few loads that i could use.

I am starting out by reloading for my 7mm Rem Mag

A buddy of mine gave me Hornady Interlock 154 g SP bullets (He sold his 7mag) He also gave me a pound of IMR 4831.

I would like to find a load using these 2 items just to start with since they were free.

First. Does anyone have a starter load for this combo that i could try out

Second, Since i already have a the Speer manual which came with the kit, what manual should i now look at that will give me additional diversity in loads?

bigcountry 08-03-2009 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by DannyD (Post 3398597)
This will be my first dive into the reloading pool
I just bought a RCBS reloading kit. It came with a reloading manual and it does show quite a few loads that i could use.

I am starting out by reloading for my 7mm Rem Mag

A buddy of mine gave me Hornady Interlock 154 g SP bullets (He sold his 7mag) He also gave me a pound of IMR 4831.

I would like to find a load using these 2 items just to start with since they were free.

First. Does anyone have a starter load for this combo that i could try out

Second, Since i already have a the Speer manual which came with the kit, what manual should i now look at that will give me additional diversity in loads?

bullets of different constuctions create differnent pressures, so you really want to do with the mfg reload data for the bullet. In other words, if you loading speer bullets, then speer manual is good. But you wouldn't want to load barnes or trophy bonded bearclaw's with a nosler manual.

Some bullets you can get by with, thin walled typical cup bullets. Like interbonds, or sierra, nosler BT's, I lump these together. But you got to be careful with a few solid shank bullets like barnes or thick walled bullets like swift.

DannyD 08-03-2009 07:45 AM

Thanks BC.
i'll be able to get to the store and pick up a copy of the Hornady manual next weekend.
I'd like to tinker with the press this week if anyone has a load out of the Hornady manual using the above bullet and powder combo that i can go with for now.

The local shop usually carries Hornady, Sierra and Nosler. I'm going to pick up a few different Hornady bullets and put the manual to good use when i get it

bigcountry 08-03-2009 09:05 AM

I got the hornady manual. I will look it up tonight.

DannyD 08-03-2009 02:19 PM

Thanks again BC.
Pretty excited. I built the bench this weekend. Got a lot of the stuff ready to go.

Pawildman 08-04-2009 05:00 PM

Danny D.....You might also want to look at the Lyman loading manual. They are not product-specific, and offer loading info for various bullet manufacturers per bullet weight. Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, etc. give good info in their own books, but like bc said, you're not gonna find Hornady info in a Nosler manual, etc.....

bigcountry 08-04-2009 06:23 PM

Ok Danny, my hornady manual says for a 154gr bullet fired from 7mm RemMag, with IMR4831

Starting: 54.8gr 2600fps
Max: 59.1gr 2800fps

Pretty weak load if you ask me, but kills deer dead I would imagine. Everybody has ideas of what a certain caliber will do, and if it was me I would expect at least 2900fps for a 154gr-160gr bullet. I would expect over 3050 for 140gr bullet. Which most of my friends can get MOssyoak on here shoots 67gr of RL22 with 140gr BT and gets 3100fps.

I myself would look into Reloader 25 Or RL22 with that bullet. I have always had good luck with RL22 out of 7mm mags.
For RL25
Starting: 63.1gr 2600fps
Max: 71.3gr 3000fps

For RL22
Starting: 56.6gr 2600fps
Max: 63.4gr 2900fps

#40Fan 08-04-2009 06:27 PM

Just a little help in a different direction.

If you plan to full length size every time, try to just bump the shoulders back enough so the round loads easily. Brass will last much longer. I started out with the 7mmRM too and learned that lesson the hard way.

bigcountry 08-04-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by #40Fan (Post 3400054)
Just a little help in a different direction.

If you plan to full length size every time, try to just bump the shoulders back enough so the round loads easily. Brass will last much longer. I started out with the 7mmRM too and learned that lesson the hard way.

Please don't see this as stepping on your toes. But I disagree. I have been down the partial FL sizing road quite a bit and came up not happy. Its ok if you have some gauges to see what your doing. See how much variance you are getting in your shoulder measurements. But one thing I found out is sometimes a die not cammed over can cause runout and shoulder measurements that are all over the place up to .010". If I go that route, I suggest folks by some lee collet dies or redding bushing dies and do it properly.

I know John Barshness is big on this, and I have debated it with him online before. Turns out he never knew what the shoulder length measurements were or the effect it has. He said he just keeps backing up until its tight to chamber. Might as well have a varying headspaced rifle IMO.

Swampdog 08-05-2009 01:18 AM

Danny D go to midway and look at the complete reloading manuals for a specific caliber if you are just going to do the 7RM for now it will give you most of the information from just about all of the manuals in one book for about 8 bucks.