Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Remove molycoat ? >

Remove molycoat ?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Remove molycoat ?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remove molycoat ?

I bought 15 boxes of Barnes bullets at a sale today and the guy that was selling them had molycoated them himself . This isn' t like the factory coat but one that you apply yourself . I would like to remove it and was wondering if any one had tried doing that . They were all in the box so I wasn' t aware that they had been coated when I bought them .
Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remove molycoat ?

The ones I have seen loaded after a self molly coating the molly pretty much scrapes off when you load it in the case. I' ve never taken molly off of a bullet or seen it done but there has got to be some kind of cleaner out there that will remove it.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Try mineral spirits,a soaking,then Dawn dish washing liquid,in hot water,next,corn cob them in a tumbler.
I really don' t know if it will come off ? When you apply this moly,in your tumbler,it is beat into the bullet jackets by the other bullets in the mix[some also use lead shot in with the moly.]
Old 05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I tried the mineral spirits to rinse them off, then run them in corncob to finish it . It worked great ,I just wish that I had bought more of them . Its not often you can get Barnes X bullets for $7.00 a box . Thanks for the replies .