Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 reloads for 300 ultra >

reloads for 300 ultra

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloads for 300 ultra

Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: reloads for 300 ultra

MAN!! Throw out a suggestion and get beat up over it. I'll tuck my tail and run. But I'm sticking with my 240's just cause they're cool
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

MAN!! Throw out a suggestion and get beat up over it. I'll tuck my tail and run. But I'm sticking with my 240's just cause they're cool
Maybe its because I am a wuss. But I have burned out the barrels of 2 300ultras. And all I know is it is too much for me over 200gr. I mean there was a night and day difference in recoil in shooting 220gr mchkings, and 180gr bullets.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Spike

i also notice a big difference in the recoil just with the 180 s and the 150 gr bullets .
i realy don't have any reason to use the bigger bullet on deer in louisiana .if i was to get a trip for elk or anything big like this i would go with the 180 or 200 gr bullets . right now i will continue to find a good shooting load for my rifle with the 150 to 165 gr bullets .i will probable try the 165 siroccos just to see how they react to my rifle .i will post a report later .[8D][:-]
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Im curious to which brand of rifles you guys are shooting. Ive dont alot of reloading on 7 RUM, 300 RUM, and 338 RUM. Remington Rifles seem to all shoot fairly well with littleeffort, justfine tune a load and easily can be 1 inch or lessgroup at 100. Got a thorne in my side with the 300 RUM and I actually bought my first high dollar gun with that and not impressed. Been about 3 years ago now. H-S Precision. Been banging my head against the wall working through tons of loads ortrying to fine tune a loadand just will not shoot well. Only way it shoots if loaded down to the speed of 300 Win Mag or slower. Any thoughts? Anyone interested in purchasing an H-S rifle?, looks like new.Thought about just re barreling the thing and starting over.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Spike

I AM SHOOTING A REMINGTON 700 BDL OUT THE BOX SHOOTING 150 GR SIRROCOS 1" AT 100 YARDS NO PROBLEM .DID YOU GET WITH H-S PRECISION TO SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO TO HELP YOU WITH THIS .IT SOUNDS LIKE THE RIFE HAS A FLAW IN IT SOMEWHERE IF I SPENT THE MONEY ON A CUSTON RIFLE THAT DIDN'T SHOOT I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE GUN MAKER . SHOT SOME 180 GR ACCUBONDS ALSO THEY WERE FAIRLY GOOD SHOOTERS BUT HAD ALOT MORE RECOIL .[:@] RELOADER 25 I HAVE FOUND TO BE ONE OF THE BEST SHOOTING POWDERS IN MY 300 RUM AS OF NOW I STILL WILL HAVE TO TRY THE H1000 LIKE BIG COUNTRY SUGESTED .
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: beech18

Im curious to which brand of rifles you guys are shooting. Ive dont alot of reloading on 7 RUM, 300 RUM, and 338 RUM. Remington Rifles seem to all shoot fairly well with littleeffort, justfine tune a load and easily can be 1 inch or lessgroup at 100. Got a thorne in my side with the 300 RUM and I actually bought my first high dollar gun with that and not impressed. Been about 3 years ago now. H-S Precision. Been banging my head against the wall working through tons of loads ortrying to fine tune a loadand just will not shoot well. Only way it shoots if loaded down to the speed of 300 Win Mag or slower. Any thoughts? Anyone interested in purchasing an H-S rifle?, looks like new.Thought about just re barreling the thing and starting over.
Don't they come with a 1/2" guarantee? I would call them.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys. I did talk toH-S awhile ago. Problem is, it will shot if I load her down to the speeds of a 300 Win Mag. I dont have my data in front of me with the exact loads and speeds I recorded, but if I load it down equal of the Win mag or slower, it shoots great. Try to speed things up to where the RUM should bethe groups just open right up. H-S does work a load up for each rifle and I too was givinga load for this rifle.It willgroup all 3 shots touching at 100 with the load H-S provided, but at less than a 300 Win Mag would shot.. If I wanted to shot the speed of a 300 Win Mag I would have bought a 300 Win Mag in the first place. So techincallyH-S did produce a rifle that shots well.I was curious to whatyou guys shot for rifles.The other RUM's Imshooting are all Remington's whichall shoot well using various hot loads. The H-S is a sweet rifle though, shoulders nicely,well balanced,awesome trigger, has the mercury recoil reducer which is nice.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info guys. I did talk toH-S awhile ago. Problem is, it will shot if I load her down to the speeds of a 300 Win Mag. I dont have my data in front of me with the exact loads and speeds I recorded, but if I load it down equal of the Win mag or slower, it shoots great. Try to speed things up to where the RUM should bethe groups just open right up. H-S does work a load up for each rifle and I too was givinga load for this rifle.It willgroup all 3 shots touching at 100 with the load H-S provided, but at less than a 300 Win Mag would shot.. If I wanted to shot the speed of a 300 Win Mag I would have bought a 300 Win Mag in the first place. So techincallyH-S did produce a rifle that shots well.I was curious to whatyou guys shot for rifles.The other RUM's Imshooting are all Remington's whichall shoot well using various hot loads. The H-S is a sweet rifle though, shoulders nicely,well balanced,awesome trigger, has the mercury recoil reducer which is nice.
Thats weird, why would they test it with a load slower then a win mag? I would send it back and tell them to shoot it with RUM loads and see if they can get it to shoot. If they can't have them send you a rifle that does shoot well with RUM loads.

Oh, do you have a Beech 18?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the load they provided me being so slow. Wierd aint it? Top it off, they loaded it with Ballistic Tips.Not exactly what I had in mind for abullet to use for a 300 RUM. Esp when I made the order at the SCI show in Reno and gave my deposit, I toldsales guy working the SCIshowit was going to be used for elk.... I should havemade a bigfuss right in the beginning to H-Sbutbeing stubborn nature I am, thought I could work/find a load that itliked.

Yes, beech 18 driver here. Own and operate 2 of them commercially. Great workhorse esp in the line of work I use them in. You a flyer?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the load they provided me being so slow. Wierd aint it? Top it off, they loaded it with Ballistic Tips.Not exactly what I had in mind for abullet to use for a 300 RUM. Esp when I made the order at the SCI show in Reno and gave my deposit, I toldsales guy working the SCIshowit was going to be used for elk.... I should havemade a bigfuss right in the beginning to H-Sbutbeing stubborn nature I am, thought I could work/find a load that itliked.

Yes, beech 18 driver here. Own and operate 2 of them commercially. Great workhorse esp in the line of work I use them in. You a flyer?

Yep, I operate a Hiller UH-12C and might be picking up an R22 pretty soon also. Those Beech 18's are sweet! If I ever get a plane it will be one of those! Where do you operate them?

Ballistics tips aren't really what I think of when RUM's come to mind either...

Quick Reply: reloads for 300 ultra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.