Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .243 chambering problem >

.243 chambering problem

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.243 chambering problem

Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Default .243 chambering problem

i'm trying to reload some 243 win rounds. i have a set of lee deluxe dies. first i full length sized the brass, then i trimmed it to 2.040".
then i loaded it with an 87gr hornady v-max bullet to 2.640" COL. Out of 12 rounds 4 load fine 5 load very hard and 3 wont even load. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .243 chambering problem

yimmy, what kind of rifle do you have? the first thing to try is running some of your casings through your rifle before loading them. after resizing and trimmings them. your rifle might have a tight chamber. if the casings will chamber before loading them then you might need to seat the bullets a little deeper. check the bullets for rifling marks on the ones that wont chamber. if you see rifling marks then you will need to seat the bullets a little more. if the casings will not chamber before loading then they need trimmed down a little more also. hope this helps you out. good luck with your reloading.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM

set the sholder back a tad on the case when sizing.........

after adj your sizer die down until it meets your shellholder........go 1/8 turn more and check your brass in your gun......do this until it chambers smooth.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me too that he needs to bump the shoulder back a very slight amount.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yimmy do what the guys are saying. first, get one of the rounds that does not chamber. Pull the bullet. If you don't have a bullet puller, put the loaded round into your press and run it up to the top without a die in the press and grab the bullet with a pair of wire cutters. As you lower the ram the wire cutters will go across the press and you can pull the bullet out by continuing to lower the ram.
Next, dump out all the powder and insert you sizing die into the press. Back out the decapping pin so you don't touch the primer but your expander ball still enters the case. Lube the case and run it though the die. Be sure your die is set to contact the shell holder plus 1/8 turn more (It will feel like the ram cams over the die base.
Try to chamber the empty case.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

The only way to know if you are bumping the shoulder back when FL sizing is the Hornady LNL gage with a correct sized headspace bushing. Check this dimension of a fired case. Then properly lube and FL size a case. Measure again. The sized case should be .001 - .004" shorter. Now, here is the trick. . .different amounts of case lube will affect the FL sizing die's effectiveness. That meansfrom almost dry to just a bit over lubed will rresult in about .008" variation in my experience, so applyan amount of lube such that all thecases size with the same handle force to control this. I use Hornady One Shot, but there are others.

Also,if the FL die is nottouching the shoulderat all, the case can grow in length. I would guess this is what is causing your issue. Use a headspace tool as suggested and you will be able to see and adjust what is happening.

If it is not that, I would get a micrometer and start checking diameters between fired(from your gun)and sized brass. A problem here will most likely leave you sending the die back to the mfgr to have it replaced. i've never seen this, but it is possible.

Also, what action type is this? I was assuming bolt action. It makes a difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM

my rifle is a ruger m77 bolt action. i'll try turn the die in a bit and see what happens. Thanks guys
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mr. Slim is correct. Try to chamber the fired cases one time before you do anything to them. IF they chamber OK before you size them, then something in the sizing/loading procedure is causing the problem.Test them for chambering again after sizing, before adding a primer, powder & bullet. Doing these steps, you will probably find out what is introducing the problem into your process, so you can eliminate it.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the empty cases chamber with no problems but loaded won't, it's highly likely he needs to turn necks or check neck thickness.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Yimmy,
Where is this at?