Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Need a New Scale >

Need a New Scale

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need a New Scale

Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Need a New Scale

None of these scales feel like you would expect. To be honest I am shocked that a 505 can be so accurate and so cheaply made.

The 1010 is beefier. But cost a fortune. Find them on ebay.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using this new prototype ReSoTo (Redding/Sony/Toshiba) electronic beam scale:

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

SM,

Can't see the picture, if you posted one.

Yup I'm already bidding on ebay for a new scale. There are so many of the 1010's on there.

I need to find a place that has one on the shelf that I can play with. Every place I go is out of stock.

Tom
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't see it huh? Well, you're not missing much...............althoughRube Goldberg would probablyappreciate it.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The company recently got some new internet software and what I think it does is block all pics. Or at least the majority of them. I'm curious how they are accomplishing this.

So are there any electronic scales out there that aren't affected by other electronics and will almost always read correctly?

Thanks

Tom
Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

So are there any electronic scales out there that aren't affected by other electronics and will almost always read correctly?

Thanks

Tom
I have been on a search for one for many years, and haven't found any. Best thing to do is use batterys and not outlets.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Thanks

Tom
I have been on a search for one for many years, and haven't found any. Best thing to do is use batterys and not outlets.
.........bc...Care to comment on my post about the DPS scales? I know we have had discussions about these types before, but do you think any real improvements have been made in regards to line interference? Curious....
I have a 505 I've used for years. I've recently had cause to doubt it's repeatability. Worn knife edges come quickly to mind. After weighing a series of charges, I went back and weighed some of the first loads I'd done. They were off by what I felt was an unreasonable amount. This gives me some wonder about some opf the vertical stringing I've experienced lately. I tended to blame it on some primer issues, but now I'm seriously doubting that.
The RCBS electronic that I bought several years ago gave me fits at the time. Perhaps I just wasn't letting it warm up enough...The whole thing just pi$$es me off.....Where do you go for honest weights? Really getting disgusted.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM
bigcountry

RCBS sells a set of proof wieghts. I also have a set from a machine shop.

Honestly, since my last search for a digital, I haven't tried again. My power sucks at my house. I think it all depends on where you live.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will find that most scales are made for companies by Ohaus.

Hornady makes their own.....well it's not Ohaus and is a good scale.

All the Ohaus scales I've used are good ones and this includes scales from RCBS, and Dillon and others as well

I disagree that checkweights are beneficial.......just something else to pay for.

Set the scale n "0" and use any bullet such as a 150 .30 cal as a confirmation that it's still reading well on 150 grains.....I wouldn't give you a dime for a truckload of check weights!

Any of the balanced beam scales made by Ohaus or the Hornady scale will work fine!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got lucky and found an old Websters balance beam scale at a pawn shop. This thing is heavy and very well made. Not a bad deal at all for the $20 I paid for it. The other two scales that I had before that where an RCBS 130 cheapy made mostly of plastic, and a Lee that comes with the kits. The Lee wasn't bad, liked it better than the 130, but neither would weigh more than just over 100 grains or so. I know that I am really not offering any advice here, but I just felt that I would chime in lol. I guess that I am still just a bit excited about the score on the Websters scale.