Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Youth Load For 7mm-08 >

Youth Load For 7mm-08

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Youth Load For 7mm-08

Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Youth Load For 7mm-08

I just loaded up some "Youth" loads (spelled lighter recoil) for my son's Rem 700 MTN LSS with 120 Grn Sierra Pro-Hunters on top of 44 Grn of IMR4350. Haven't chronographed them yet but book says about 2,700 FPS MV. (So will probably be a little slower)

I don't think he will have a problem with the recoil; however, I am courious if you guys think this load will have enough "umph" on whitetail at 100 Yds or less. Looks like this load would be comparable with a 257 Bob running a 117 Grn bullet so I'm guessing that it should be fine. What do you think?

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Youth Load For 7mm-08

A deer in his sights will drop if hit with that load.

Good on you for getting youth involved in shooting/hunting.That's our only hope for the future.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Thankskelbro

I know there are a lot 257 Roberts fans on this board that swear by it as outstanding on whitetails and this 7mm-08 load matches it almost exactly for ballistics so I'm thinking it will work out just fine.

And you're absolutely right about getting the kids involved in hunting / shooting. I'm more excited about my son getting a chance at his first deer than I've been about deer hunting in general for a long time.

firstshot
-----------------------------------
Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 120 gr bullets work VERY well on deer shot from a 7mm08. My own load worked up for daughter's rifle consists of a 120 gr ballistic tip over hodgen powder. You might experient with slightly faster burning powders such as H380. Your load is PLENTY for any deer ever to walk the earth within 300-400 yards IF the shooter does their part-not that I'm suggesting a beginner shooting that far,just that the combo will handily do it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: firstshot

I just loaded up some "Youth" loads (spelled lighter recoil) for my son's Rem 700 MTN LSS with 120 Grn Sierra Pro-Hunters on top of 44 Grn of IMR4350. Haven't chronographed them yet but book says about 2,700 FPS MV. (So will probably be a little slower)

I don't think he will have a problem with the recoil; however, I am courious if you guys think this load will have enough "umph" on whitetail at 100 Yds or less. Looks like this load would be comparable with a 257 Bob running a 117 Grn bullet so I'm guessing that it should be fine. What do you think?

firstshot
------------------------------
I'd suggest that you spend some time eating up your ice cream, because if he connects with that load, you'll need the freezer space. People are too obsessed with firepower, and it's spread so much you'd think that deer are plated with rolled homogenous steel! [:@] After seeing the wreckage created by a .30-06 pushing a 150gr Core-Lock, I'm actually thinking that the .30-06 is OVERPOWERED for deer and I'm looking at getting a rifle with a smaller cartridge. The load you got there will definitely do the trick out a lot farther than your boy is likely going to be comfortable shooting.

Good luck to you and your son,

Mike