Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Any of you load a 35 Rem? >

Any of you load a 35 Rem?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Any of you load a 35 Rem?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any of you load a 35 Rem?

what bullets are you using? about the only thing i can find are 200s and up and i would really like to find something a little lighter than a 200...if a 200 is all there is ill go with that but would like something a little smaller
anyone have any info?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any of you load a 35 Rem?

I'm assuming you are loading a lever action. speer makes a 180 grain semi spizer flat nose. I have been thinking about loading for my 35 just never got aroud to it.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=117
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Speer has a 180gr flat point, but theredidn't seem to be much difference in trajectory from the 200 RN, and I could not get them togroup very wellin my Marlin. Their 220 gr. flat point shot much better in my gun, but I finally settled on the Hornady 200 grRN which shot just as well andwould expand more reliably.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Speer has a 180gr flat point, but theredidn't seem to be much difference in trajectory from the 200 RN, and I could not get them togroup very wellin my Marlin. Their 220 gr. flat point shot much better in my gun, but I finally settled on the Hornady 200 grRN which shot just as well andwould expand more reliably.
yea its a Tube fed mag gun im loading for...everything i have read and talked to people about says not to load a Spizer style bullet in these guns cause of detonation possibilites...but we have 3 of these guns in the family and have for years and havent ever had a problem yet but it only takes once i guess...i see now that Hornaday is finally releasing their 200 grain LeverRevoloution bullets but they havent released the 165 grains which is what i would rather have but i guess for now ill use the 200 RN Hornadays if i can get them

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CHAMP198

what bullets are you using? about the only thing i can find are 200s and up and i would really like to find something a little lighter than a 200...if a 200 is all there is ill go with that but would like something a little smaller
anyone have any info?
I used the Speer 180-grain flatpoints in my 35 Remington. I worked up a load using IMR 3031 that gave a MV of 2400 FPS from my "J.C. Higgins M45" which was nothing but a Marlin 336 with regular rifling rather than micro-groove rifling and the Sears name tag.....

Use of a pointed bullet is of course to be avoided for safety. Yet, one study I read involved shooting pointed bullets using a tube magazine to see what would happen. As long as the points were soft lead, nothing happened.But when the bullet jacket material touched the primer of the next round, the marks on the primer were scary. Not to take a chance, use flat pointed bullets or the Hornady "LeveRevolution"stuff.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Read this

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,7180.0.html

There has been some extensive testing on bullet performance in the .35 Remington and the bullets that came out on top are the old 200gr Remington Core-lokt. You can't go wrong with the consistant performace seen with the .35 Remington and 200gr Core-Lokt combination. I have used it for years and will not chage.

The Remington 200 grain Roundnose Core-Lokt

I will not be evasive; I think this is probably the best and most suitable 35 Remington bullet available. Regarding construction, it is the most sophisticated bullet of the bunch. It has the old, original, true Core-Lokt construction, which is a thickened jacket midsection, tapering at both the nose and the base, with a scalloped jacket and barely visible skiving cuts in the corners of the scallops. This swelling in the middle, near the cannelure, prevents the core from separating from the jacket, even on close range impact. Believe me, I tried to hurt this bullet, and at 35 Remington speeds it cannot be done. I even got cute and tried inserting hardwood boards in the phone books at around a 3 inch depth to see if I could stress the bullets, and it turned out that this made it easier on the bullets, not harder. At a range of 6 feet at 2220 fps, the rollback of the jacket was approximately to the cannelure, and the expanded diameter was wide, but penetration was still around 12 inches, about 3 inches more than the Hornady that was fired at 2140 fps at 25 yard books. Depth of penetration when launched at 2220 fps was little different than the Remington factory load at 1985 fps at nearly all ranges, with maybe a half inch of separation between the two, which is in the range of error. Overall, penetration ranged from 12 to 14.5 inches, depending upon distance, with the deeper penetration at longer range, just like the factory loads. I cannot tell you if speeding up the Remington bullet 235 fps hurt penetration or helped, but gut feeling would lead me to think increasing the velocity might lower penetration slightly due to slightly larger expanded diameter. I doubt you could tell the difference on game as regards penetration. What, then, is the value of pushing the same bullet 235 fps faster? I thought I might attempt to show that by testing at 200 yards. Included are photos that show the difference in expansion when the Remington 200 is launched at 1985 fps (factory) and 2220 fps. Increased rollback of the jacket and somewhat larger frontal diameter are evident in the higher velocity bullets. The factory loads still showed very good expansion, however, and no doubt would be effective, as many users have attested. A different way to look at it is this: If you have been happy with the 200 Remington Core-Lokt factory load performance at 150 yards on, say, whitetail deer, then you’d obtain that same performance in bullet expansion from the handload approximately 60-70 yards further downrange. If you need the extra range, fine, if not, that’s okay too. For whatever it’s worth, I’ve had reports of whitetail deer and antelope taken with the Remington 200 Core-Lokt factory load (usually around 2000 fps) at over 200 yards, and the users reported that it worked just fine. That’s further than some would rate the factory load as capable of performing, but the field evidence seems to strongly back up the results of the testing I did.

The fact is that the Remington bullet works at any realistic 35 Remington speed, mild to fast. Here is a point that I think is very interesting-in all of the testing, which consumed more bullets than any other type, NOT ONCE did I recover a bullet that had tumbled. This despite shooting through holes left by the passage of other bullets (hey, it happens, whether you want it to or not). When doing so with some other bullets, they tended to tumble when encountering these voids. The Remington always penetrated nose first and exhibited extremely uniform expansion, no doubt aided by the scalloped jacket with the skiving cuts in the corner that do such a fine job of aiding expansion when velocities drop off at distance. I also believe that this skiving allows the bullet to expand at lower speed than brands that lack these features. This symmetrical, easy expansion means a symmetrical bullet that penetrates straight, but the thick midsection limits overexpansion at close range.

This bullet is suitable for almost everything you’d hunt with the .35, and even though the roundnose does not seem to connote “long range bullet” the Remington is the most likely to expand at distance of any of the handloading component bullets, save maybe the Hornady 180 SSP. The only other comment I can make is that the 180 and 220 Speer bullets outpenetrate it, but there are few situations where greater penetration than the Remington bullet offers is needed. For most uses I think it is the best bullet that can be used, and to top it off it is the cheapest of the 35 Remington game bullets. You cannot complain when excellent performance and low cost are combined in one projectile.