Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 reloading question 44 mag & powder amount >

reloading question 44 mag & powder amount

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading question 44 mag & powder amount

Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default reloading question 44 mag & powder amount

Hello
I'm about set up to do my first reloading. I have a couple items that I'm waiting for, should be here in a few days.

I have Hodgdon H110 powder and according to their table the min charge is 29 grain and the max is 31.5 for 180 grain bullet.

The question is; Can I start out lighter than the min. Say like 25 grains or do you have to have the min. or else you'll have problems. I'd like a light load so my wife can shoot the gun a few times.

Just for the heck of it, I scaled out the 29 grains and put it in a once fired case with primer still in it and there was just enough room for the bullet to sit on top. (of course it wasn't packed down) It seems like getting the 31.5 grains would be a tight fit, had I wanted to go that high.

Thanks for any answers.

Dan
Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: reloading question 44 mag & powder amount

I personaly start all loads at 10% less than listed then work up from there looking for best group. to max.& not exceed max.!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

NO!

Not with Hodgdon 110.

They have a very specific warning about it:

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil). H110 and Winchester 296 loads should not be reduced more than 3%.
Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

If you are looking for a light load, try a different powder.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: dkbs

Hello
I'm about set up to do my first reloading. I have a couple items that I'm waiting for, should be here in a few days.

I have Hodgdon H110 powder and according to their table the min charge is 29 grain and the max is 31.5 for 180 grain bullet.

The question is; Can I start out lighter than the min. Say like 25 grains or do you have to have the min. or else you'll have problems. I'd like a light load so my wife can shoot the gun a few times.

Just for the heck of it, I scaled out the 29 grains and put it in a once fired case with primer still in it and there was just enough room for the bullet to sit on top. (of course it wasn't packed down) It seems like getting the 31.5 grains would be a tight fit, had I wanted to go that high.

Thanks for any answers.

Dan
Most powders, you can, but not H110. You can get erratic pressures or uncomplete burns lowering less than 3% of max pressure. Its designed for higher pressures.

But with powders like HS-6, HP-38, or unique, sure, you can lower them down a ton.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read and follow all the instructions including the general loading information in the reloading book you buy for the bullets you use (e.g. Hornady, Nosler, Speer, etc.)
I personally start on the lower end of the minimum recommendation, but not the lowest. I use the recommended primers for the loads the bullet mfg says, then examine the cases carefully as your reloading handbook tells you what warning signs indicate potential trouble, carefully working up to the higher end staying strictly within the recommended limits only!!
I don't load up to the maximum recommended charges. This has worked for me.