Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Little Help???

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Little Help???

Anyone out there who can help me with a load for a 243win? Im tyrn to find a light load with a light powder charge. Im loading for my daughter and want tofind load for her withas little recoil as i possibly can.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Little Help???

What powder? How big/old is she? I don't think you could go wrong with any 60 gr bullet and suggested or starting powder charge. I'm sure you could even reduce that a grain or two if you liked.

If she is big enough and strong enough to actually handle the rifle, I wouldn't worry about what little recoil she will get. The thing that will actually be the most offensive to her is the noise. The 243 seems to have a sharp pitch that just goes through a lot of people's ears like a pointed stick. Some people flinch more from noise than recoil. Obviously make dang sure her ears are protected and you can probably forget the rest of the things you're worried about.

I assume she has shot .22s and understands basically what to expect????
Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

O yea! Shes shoot 22s alot and understands all of it. She isnt worried about it at all, its more me over thinking it im sure. Powder??? Im not sure i shoot imr mostly in my loads. Have never had any trouble out of it and it preforms great. I was just currious to know if some one new a load that they would share to cut down on some of the test stages. But then again thats part of the fun of finding loads that ll shoot right......
Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Spike

H4895 is what I used to load a reduced load for my daughters 7-08. I checked the Hodgden site and they have removed the reduced load data section and replaced it with a complete load data listing. What you are really doing is mating a smaller bullet with a smaller powder charge to reduce recoil. Take a look at the data on the Hodgden site.

I believe that any of the starting loads with smaller bullets should work fine.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 PM

With a 100 gr. bullet a case full of H4831 will be all you need..
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

first off, are you just loading shells to shoot to practice and get her used to shooting a high power or are you loading hunting loads. i loaded a bunch of 87gr spire hornadys for a friend and used a low end charge of h-450 and she smoked a nice nickle buck at almost 90 yards. after that she let her 9 year old daughter shoot her rifle and she thought that it was great. she could shoot her moms "big gun" and it didnt hurt. that was just my experience with the low end loads. hope you find a load that she can shoot well and enjoy it.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. Im gonna start her off as light as possible on paper of coarse. Shes die n to go hunting with me next year. i found some 58grn hornandy and they will probly be what i start with. My plan is to start with paper move to cyotes and maybe she ll be ready to go after some whitetail this fall. I m thinkn that for the deer i ll need to jump her up to a larger bullet.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM

For sure she needs to be shooting the heavier bullets when she's ready for deer. But as light a bullet as your loading, I don't think recoil will be an issue for her at all. For now about all you're doing is conditioning her to the big bang of high powered rifle and that's cool. Keep it up.