Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Fireformed vs. Full Length Resize for 2 Guns >

Fireformed vs. Full Length Resize for 2 Guns

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Fireformed vs. Full Length Resize for 2 Guns

Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Fireformed vs. Full Length Resize for 2 Guns

I ran into a similar situation as ChazyKEJ posted (Problems with sized brass...) and would like see a poll started on the question below.

I have been reloading 7mm-08 for 2-3 years for my Encore pistol and .44 mag for 5 years. I recently purchased a Savage Striker in 7mm-08 and took both pistols to the range to sight in. I started with the Encore and shot factory and handloads before switching to the Striker. I ran into a little problem when I went to use my handloads in the striker,the cartridge wouldn't chamber all the way. Because I have only used the Encore for my 7mm-08 reloads I never had to worry about resizing the length of the case (they were fireformed to fit the Encore). When I got home, I ran some cases through the full length resizing die and they fit fine in the striker. But now I have a decision to make and would like to hear what others do in this situation...

The question: Is it better to resize and have all uniform 7mm-08 cartridges on hand or is it better to get more life and performance out of the cases by fireforming the rounds to each gun and keeping the rounds separate?

I appreciate your shared experience and thoughts with rationale to explain your thinking,

Thanks,
J
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fireformed vs. Full Length Resize for 2 Guns

All of my brass is size for a specific rifle. It is a lot more hassle than having them all the same size, but it's worth it to me. It is entirely up to you, put up with the hassle and have proper fitting brass or size them all down to fit all your rifles. If at all possible, I like to have different head stamps for different rifles as well. This make matching brass sizeto rifle a lot easier.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say separate brass for each gun! If you keep full lenght sizing the brass will be over worked and not last as long.Thats the problem with loading for semi's.Keep fireformed for each firearm separate when loading and shooting.I have the same problem on my 243,the Ruger dislikes the brass from Winchester chamber!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

I would first find out the dimensions on my chamber with some tools all reloaders should have. I would then use that information to make that decision.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Spike

Considering that the two guns probably won't perform to your liking with the same load, ie. you'll have a different load you use in each gun, it would only be a little more hassle to keep fire-formed brass seperately for each gun.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

"All of my brass is size for a specific rifle. It is a lot more hassle than having them all the same size, but it's worth it to me."

Same here.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easy fix, I have two 30-06's I use winchester brass in one and remington in the other, that way there is no confusion.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say segregate the brass between the two guns. Get yourself a few of those plastic ammo boxes and label them clearly for each gun. Then keep all loaded or empty brass in the appropriate box. Tumble the brass separately, and you'll not have a problem.

FL resizing every time is best left to those handloading for autoloaders. Otherwise it's not only a pain-in-the-rear to do, but your accuracy is likely to suffer a little in both guns, and you're defeating the whole point of handloading.

Mike

Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with accuracy with full length sized brass, it just takes a little more load development to find the bullet/weight/powder/charge/primer combo. Gives me an excuse to shoot more.