Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

praire dog load

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default praire dog load

Looking for a praire dog load for my savage 12 fv 1 in 9 twist. Criteria is inexpensive bullet, fairly fast and shoot under .5 moa. I was shooting the barnes varminators in front of H335 but barnes stopped making them shot well under .5 best group at .25 or a hair under.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: praire dog load

forgot to mention in .223
Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 grain V-max should do just fine. About 3300 fps?? Sounds good to me. I fully concur with your powder choice. This bullet shoots real well in my RR Varmint. I am looking forward to the day I can chase PD's with this outfit. Tom.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

what exactly do you consider inexpensive?? because with me when P-dog season rolls around I put the V-max's away and whip out the $45 for 500 bulk Hornady SXSP's in 50 grains. out of my Savage model 10FP these bullets are grouping under an inch at 200 yards.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would want my bullets under $10 a hundred. I know my rifle can shoot the v-maxes and the sierras great, but aren't worth using for a praire dog load.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have got to get in on this PD shooting. It sounds like you guys are having way too much fun. I got to hunt Jack's a few times in Arizona, and it was the most fun I have ever had. We did that with 22LR's and 22 Magnums.

I thought V-Max bullets were fairly inexpensive, but if you guys are doing so much PD shooting that V-Max cost is prohibitive-then WOW I have got to get in on this. Our ground hog hunting here in WV and PA has went down hill a good bit. Alot of people blame that on coyotes. I do not know why, I just know that it has gone down hill. Tom.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WhitBri

I would want my bullets under $10 a hundred. I know my rifle can shoot the v-maxes and the sierras great, but aren't worth using for a praire dog load.
under 10 bucks per 100 I totally agree thats why im using the SXSP's. asmuch as ya miss for asmany time as you connect with P-dogs its senseless to throw expensive bullets. you outta try those hornady SXSP's they are every bit as brutal as a ballistic tip on impact but are deffinately considerably cheaper than V-max's.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have got to get in on this PD shooting. It sounds like you guys are having way too much fun. I got to hunt Jack's a few times in Arizona, and it was the most fun I have ever had. We did that with 22LR's and 22 Magnums.

I thought V-Max bullets were fairly inexpensive, but if you guys are doing so much PD shooting that V-Max cost is prohibitive-then WOW I have got to get in on this. Our ground hog hunting here in WV and PA has went down hill a good bit. Alot of people blame that on coyotes. I do not know why, I just know that it has gone down hill. Tom.
that would be my suspicion exactly coyotes breed like rabbits.. one bitch is capable of producing asmany as 4 litters a year with asmany as 6 pups surviving per litter than the female pups are breedable at 6 months old its possible for one litter to produce asmany as 42 more yotes in just 1 year and if not enough natural predators or hunters are doing enough to lower yote populations then yer gonna see a decline in small game species since a coyotes diet can consume their body weight worth of small game per day. I can go into more detail but i think ya see the picture. ya outta consider yote hunting too. I do alot of it out here, and seems to be getting quite popular aswell atleast so it seems since quail and ground squirrel populations are begining to boom again.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

that would be my suspicion exactly coyotes breed like rabbits.. one **** is capable of producing asmany as 4 litters a year with asmany as 6 pups surviving per litter than the female pups are breedable at 6 months old its possible for one litter to produce asmany as 42 more yotes in just 1 year and if not enough natural predators or hunters are doing enough to lower yote populations then yer gonna see a decline in small game species since a coyotes diet can consume their body weight worth of small game per day
Bull pucky! HighDesert, I challenge you to find one piece of evidence that says a female coyote breeds more than once/year! From the time a female gets inpregnated to the time the pups are ready to leave the den is over 4.5 months. It's pretty common knowledge that the breeding season is around Feb./Mar. for all coyotes in this country.With a liter of 3-9 pups, not all of them will make it past 6 months.As far as cheap bullets go, if you can build a load that is very accurate with the cheapest bullets, that's the way to go, it's tough to do sometimes though. And if you can't hit the target and have to shoot at it 2-3 times, then a single accurate more expensive bullet would be the better choice. I shot about 1000 rounds in the last two weekends at p-dogs, gotta take this weekend to catch up on work.[8D]

Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with you howler on the bullet part anyways don't know anything about the breeding habits of coyotes. I demand the accuracy out of my pd loads. I still think half the fun is taking the 400 yd plus shots and connecting.

Quick Reply: praire dog load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.