Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Factory loads, sticky bolt handle >

Factory loads, sticky bolt handle

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Factory loads, sticky bolt handle

Old 05-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Factory loads, sticky bolt handle

I came across a Model 70 300wsm recently & have fired less than 30 rounds through it. With both factory Win 150gr bullets & loaded downSST 165 grainers (62 gr 4350 I think), the bolt requires effort to push down while loading a cartridge into the chamber. I think the factory loads were sticky while extracting a case, but the reloads were not. What's the deal? Thanks -
Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Factory loads, sticky bolt handle

Check if the screws holding down the front scope base are too long and are sticking down into the action. That happened to me once.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTM

Check if the screws holding down the front scope base are too long and are sticking down into the action. That happened to me once.
IF this were the problem, it would happen with NO cartridge in the chamber as well as when there was one there.

Sounds to me like you have a very tight chamber, at least in the headspace measurement. It is a nuisance, but not dangerous in any way. You might have a good gunsmith check the headspace.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

When the wsms were introduced,winchester wanted to show just how much velocity they could produce,and loaded the factory loads very hot.As a result it is not uncommon to see pressure signs in some rifles.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you've got a tight chamber, too. If you are FL resizing, try setting your die to just barely touch the shoulder of the fired case. I think your problems will disappear.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I think you've got a tight chamber, too. If you are FL resizing, try setting your die to just barely touch the shoulder of the fired case. I think your problems will disappear.
My thought also. Keep us posted. Regards, Rick.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO a sticky bolt is a sign of pressure. Their are alot of different reasons why you can have pressure problems. Factory rounds shoud not cause a sticky bolt. Buy a GO NO GO GAUGE-If it does not fit thensend your rifle back to the mfr. Believe me they do not want bad chambers out there. They will fix any problem the rifle might have, and I doubt if they would charge you a penny. Sticky bolts are unacceptable, get it fixed. Tom.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM

The bolt is not sticky with an empty chamber, so I don't think it is scope mt screw problems. I'll FL-resize some loads tonight with an adjustment to my die.I'll alsotry shooting a couple test rounds this weekend, factory rounds included.[:@]