Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Sticky bolt how to correct it?Revised >

Sticky bolt how to correct it?Revised

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sticky bolt how to correct it?Revised

Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sticky bolt how to correct it?Revised

Worked up some reloads for my 6mm rem and shot them yesterday. Every shell i shot gave me a sticky bolt handle. Whats the best way to correct this problem. I was thinking maybe trying to push the bullets back in a little farther or i was thinking about setting my die to just barely touch the shoulder of the case and see if that solved the problem. I've never had this problem with any of my other rifles. I need some input here as I am at a loss. thanks fellas.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sticky bolt how to correct it?

A sticky bolt is a for sure sign of too much pressure. You better back off. Tom.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't mention if you were at, over, or under "max load" for the powder you were using. Also, bullet seating depth can play a big part in pressure problems. If you are in contact with the lands with the bullet itself you can be causing a problem. Check it. Also, if you have any factory ammo you may want to give it a try to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you have solved part of it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
bigcountry

You know I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't understand. The first and major topic in any reloading manuals is safety and over pressure. And pressure signs. Heavy bolt lift is just that.

My friend if you are reloading, and dont' know these signs and how to correct, I highly suggest reading a manual. It can be serious business. A person is supposed to start out with starting loads and work up a load. Drop your load a grain or two. I hope your not just going to the hottest load and tryign it. Thats playing with some serious fire.

Maybe I don't understand whats happening in your situation. Be safe.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sticky bolt how to correct it? Revised

i guess i gave off the wrong impression here. I get a sticky bolt when i shut the bolt to prepare to fire the round not after i have fired the round. I have no heavy bolt lift trying 2 extract the spent cartridge.Iexamine every case I haveafter every round shotfor pressure signs and I have no signs on my casings.I have tried and shot factory loads no problems shutting the bolt.Max listing is 43gr of IMR4350 i have 3 different 3shot loads worked up from 40.5gr 41gr 41.5gr According to the formula i use which is max load times .05 than subtract that from you're max load and use that as you're starting load which would be 40.85gr. It doesnt matter if i use new brass or once firedbrassno matter what i get a sticky bolt handle.I reload for many other firearms and this is the first time i have encountered this problem. Sorry if i gave off the impression before of having a heavy bolt lift after i fired the round.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

There are a couple of reasons for this. One could be the length of the brass, is it trimmed properly? It could also be that your OAL is too long and your bullet is being jammed into the lands. Do they chamber without a seated bullet. If not then I suspect your problem is with your die set-up.

Are you FL sizing or neck sizing? If you are FL sizing I would take a piece of once fired brass and size it and trim it, if it does not chamberturn the die down just a little and lock it, size the brass again and see if it chambers, if not keep screwing the die in and sizing until it chambers.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

i guess i gave off the wrong impression here. I get a sticky bolt when i shut the bolt to prepare to fire the round not after i have fired the round. I have no heavy bolt lift trying 2 extract the spent cartridge.Iexamine every case I haveafter every round shotfor pressure signs and I have no signs on my casings.I have tried and shot factory loads no problems shutting the bolt.Max listing is 43gr of IMR4350 i have 3 different 3shot loads worked up from 40.5gr 41gr 41.5gr According to the formula i use which is max load times .05 than subtract that from you're max load and use that as you're starting load which would be 40.85gr. It doesnt matter if i use new brass or once firedbrassno matter what i get a sticky bolt handle.I reload for many other firearms and this is the first time i have encountered this problem. Sorry if i gave off the impression before of having a heavy bolt lift after i fired the round.
Its not that unusual for you to have to a die that is not sized right or a tight chamber. YOu need to measure a fireformed piece of brass and compare it to a FL sized one that causes this sticky bolt push.

I had a set of RCBS once I had to send back cause I had a chamber that was at the min of SAAMI specs. and my dies were probabley at the max. Combo caused headspace issues.

This is the reason I highly suggest a head and shoulders gauge by stoneypoint.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brass is trimmed to specs. I tried putting them in the gun without a seated bullet and it still wants to stick shutting the bolt. So the OAL with the bullet in doesnt seem to be my problem. Ifull length size my shells.I dont know if this helps at allbut the gun is a Remington Model 7 youth.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

Brass is trimmed to specs. I tried putting them in the gun without a seated bullet and it still wants to stick shutting the bolt. So the OAL with the bullet in doesnt seem to be my problem. Ifull length size my shells.I dont know if this helps at allbut the gun is a Remington Model 7 youth.
Sounds like a tight chamber. If they are RCBS, call em, and they will tell you to send them a fireformed piece of brass and the FL sizing die. It happens.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are RCBS group A. I'm going to call rcbs and see what i can make out. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Sticky bolt how to correct it?Revised

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.