Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

annealing

Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: annealing

I used to anneal like Briman suggests. Not saying your wrong briman. John Barsness also suggests this procedure. But I started using some heat sensitive paint 475 Degree TEMPILAQ that comes with the hornady anneal kit. I found out that the hold in the hands until your hands get hot, is not a solid rule, and most likely just doing stress relief. And its different for differnet cases. Like my 300RUM took alot longer where 223 would not. Here is the kit.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=c14adda83c1256a394b259ce9525f93e&p age=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=7ef236cd300bbc3a f6642821e50f721c

Old 04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

i didn't intend to start a squabble....hehe. appreciate knowing that annealing won't help with neck tension. never the less, it is something that i would like to know how to do. i have only been reloading rifle cartridges for a year. i've been reloading for handguns for four years. still plenty to learn. ty for the help.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shewe

i didn't intend to start a squabble
No squabble here, we’re just one big happy family having a discussion at the dinner table...
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM
bigcountry

i didn't intend to start a squabble....hehe. appreciate knowing that annealing won't help with neck tension. never the less, it is something that i would like to know how to do. i have only been reloading rifle cartridges for a year. i've been reloading for handguns for four years. still plenty to learn. ty for the help.
If you told me, you shot your brass about 4 times and all the sudden its not holding the bullet and used to it did when sizing with collet die, I would agree, annealing can help in that instance. But correct me if I am wrong, but this sounds like new or newer brass that is not holding well from the start?

Its very common for people to have to polish the mandels of the collet dies. I have got some that was great, and some like you. I now polish this all. The metal is crap and soft. Awesome design, but I have actually wore out the mandrel on caliber in particular. So it should be easy to polish.

Play with the annealing. I am a huge believer in it after 4 firings. But at first do it in a controlled setting with some templac paint at 475F painted right below the shoulder on the body. I suggest using a drill or slow moving power screw driver to do this for even heat.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

aye. it is brass that has been used once to fire form to my gun.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just got a lee collet neck sizer. the problem is that i'm not getting enough neck tension. even after using a factory crimp die.....i'm able to push the bullet into the cartridge with my thumb. i've heard that annealing the case necks would help. can someone teach me how to anneal? ty guys. the only other thing i can think of is to request a smaller diameter mandrel from lee precision.
give the collet neck sizer another 1/8 to 1/4 turn in. the problem yer having is from the die not being adjusted right. annealing will help give additional neck tension. but the problem you are having is the die. also if you arent getting good neck tension right off crimping wont do squat for ya. also annealing IMO is a poor way to gain neck tension annealing is much better suited for extending case life. also annealing is risky business and IMO not worth chancing just to get 2 or 3 more loadings out of the brass. if you anneal the case down tofar past the neck and the case webbing and case head accidently become hardened then you run the risk of blowing your gun and yourself up. Im 100% positive by adjusting your die another 1/8 to a 1/4 turn in it will cure your problem.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also forgot about the mandrels needing to be polished. Seat the die exaclty to how lee explains it in the instructions also are you exerting enough force lee says you need a minimum of 25 lbs of pressure on the press lever. and if you are still having the problem then turn the die in an additional 1/8 to a 1/4 turn if that doesnt work then polish the mandrel. if you dont want to polish the mandrel yourself get in touch with lee and they can make a custom mandrel for you for 5 bucks. But again im 100% positive its either a misadjusted die or possibly operator error. these collet dies work differently then typical dies. as lee says it in the owners manual "forget everything you know about die adjustment and follow the instructions."
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

i tried more pressure on the press and seated the collet die a quarter turn deeper.....still no good. i polished about 0.001 off the mandrel and it now works like a charm. ty guys the advice is much appreciated. nice neck tension and little or no bullet runout. i'm a happy camper.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Typical Buck

i'm a little gun shy about annealing the cases. i think i'll pass on the annealing and just buy new brass when the time comes.....just not worth the risk from what i'm seeing. hehe.[8D]