Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case Trimming

Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default Case Trimming

Do you guys trim cases to spec every time or is there a certain ammount of tolerance you can work with before trimming. I'm obviously a newb to reloading and really appreciate the info being shared here.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Case Trimming

I use an X-Die and avoid trimming after the first trim.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trim after every FL (modified) resize..........
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the caliber,my .243's I can get 3-4 fireings before I have to trim but the .270 WSM will stretch out the brass after the 2nd fireing...
Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

i trim after every full length size. it gives me a chance to inspect cases prior to loading.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much are you trimming if you trim every time?
What calibers are you shooting that you trim every time?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I trim to .004 under max. The reason for this, is that the bullet is swaged into the gap between the case mouth and the bore of your rifle when fired. The less that the bullet is deformed upon firing, the greater your accuracy potential. I also neck size only, keeping my cases to my chamber specs. This reduces the case stretching and enhances case life.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM
bigcountry

I don't trim unless I have too. I shoot brass in lots and usually in lots of 100. So if I have a lot of 100 pieces, that are either new or once fired from someone else, I will FL Size and trim, and usually don't need trimmed again until 2 possibly 3 firings. When I first started, I used to trim about every time. But you will get tired of that crap after a while, and only do it when you have too.

So when I start seeing my lot of 100 start going past max again, usually more than 10, I will start trimming. Usually after that, I toss brass when shot more than 5 maybe 6 times. But as always depends on the caliber.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iset my trimmer to .010 less than max length, and trim every time. Usually only get a light shaving. Probably just me, but I feel it can't hurt, and contributes a little to better uniformity............
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Trimming isn't necessary each time you size unless you are up to or beyond the max case length. I usually trim every time though to the trim to length stated in the reloading manual. Its just something I do for consistancies sake and to ensure the case mouth is squared up. And I've also read in my Lyman's manual on reloading for accuracy that this is a step for increased consistancy and accuracy. But, like I said, it isn't neccessary every time.

Quick Reply: Case Trimming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.