Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Berger VLD's

Old 02-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Berger VLD's

I'm looking at the 115gr VLD's out of my 25-06. I've heard you can push them to the 3100-3200fps range pretty easy in a 26" barrel. We will see about that, but does anyone know how they do on game. I hunt mulies, and shots are usually in the 150-350yrd range. The high BC (.523) is what got me looking at them in the first place. The Berger web site lists them as a match and a big game bullet so I guess they would be OK, but I wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks, Brett
Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Berger VLD's

ALthough I haven't used the 115 gr. .257 Berger VLD, the 168 gr. 7MM performed very well for me this year on an elk. High shoulder shot at 461 yards. Another guy I know used the 210 gr. .30 caliber Berger VLD in a .300 Ultra Mag with very good results. And another person (customer of mine) used the 105 gr. 6MM Berger out of 6MM-284 with good results on mule deer. So I'm thinking the .25 caliber version is probably going to be a good one as well.

The guy that made that "Best of the West - Beyond Belief" DVD uses the 168 gr. 7MM Berger VLD. A customer of mine got a chance to talkwith him about his choice of bullets; given all the great bullets out there specifically designed for hunting applications. His reponse was something to the effect that it was the only bullet that would expand at 900 yards on an antelope, and still not blow up at 30 yards on an elk. My single personal experience with this bullet was very good as well.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't think the VLD's were made for hunting, I thought they were match ammo like the A-Max. Uh, I guess its true, I do learn something new everyday.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM

One that I shoot is a 300 WM, Remington Sendero. Barrel is a 10" rate of twist. These Berger Specifics call for a 11-13 twist. Does this matter???

Old 02-24-2007, 01:51 PM

As long as it groups well - no problem.Twist is one of those odd things - if you have a little too much, youare most times still fine. But if you don't have enough, bullets will tumble or yaw and print all over the place. Particularly at low altitude, high humidity, and low barometric pressure.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
bigcountry

So whats bergers construction? I always veiwed them as a exotic bullet like the onyx. I suppose they are not bonded. I was reading thier website, but not much on construction.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM

I have sectioned several with an end mill. They have a jacket of uniform thickness and an air pocket up front behind the very small hollowpoint. From the wound channel I was inspecting on that elk, it looks like they penetrate a short distance into the animal without expanding and then really open up in the middle of the critter. The bullet that dropped mine in its tracks never came out - and I never found much of it inside the animal.

For those of you that have been hunting awhile, you might recall an old Winchester bullet called the Open Point Expanding. This was the bullet that Jack O'Conner used to establish the reputation of the .270 Winchester. Similar deal to the Berger VLD, in terms of terminal ballistics. The protective cap prevented the bullet from expanding until it is inside the animal, and then expansion happens in a big way. Quite a contrast from many of the modern controlled expansion bullets that do most of their expanding going through the hide and ribs, and are slowed down to a fairly small wound channel by the time they get to the middle of the animal's vitals.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

You want ttry good bullet WILDCATBULLET's Richard Graves makes them very High BC some of the highest in the Bussness. He can make what you want.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some 190 gr. Bergers to try in my .300 WM Sako.Wanted to see how they'd do on whitetail deer this past season, butthe scope I had sent in for repair didn't come back in time for me to hunt with that riflebefore the season was over. Oh well, maybe thiscoming year I can put them to the test.