HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Berger VLD's
Thread: Berger VLD's
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Roskoe

Default RE: Berger VLD's

I have sectioned several with an end mill. They have a jacket of uniform thickness and an air pocket up front behind the very small hollowpoint. From the wound channel I was inspecting on that elk, it looks like they penetrate a short distance into the animal without expanding and then really open up in the middle of the critter. The bullet that dropped mine in its tracks never came out - and I never found much of it inside the animal.

For those of you that have been hunting awhile, you might recall an old Winchester bullet called the Open Point Expanding. This was the bullet that Jack O'Conner used to establish the reputation of the .270 Winchester. Similar deal to the Berger VLD, in terms of terminal ballistics. The protective cap prevented the bullet from expanding until it is inside the animal, and then expansion happens in a big way. Quite a contrast from many of the modern controlled expansion bullets that do most of their expanding going through the hide and ribs, and are slowed down to a fairly small wound channel by the time they get to the middle of the animal's vitals.