Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Little tip to eliminate runout >

Little tip to eliminate runout

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Little tip to eliminate runout

Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Little tip to eliminate runout

Thanks BC, I'll try it.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't know jack about this stuff compared to you guys but, kinda like Roskoe, I was forced into doing this to a degree. I'm cheap...and I'm in college...and I don't shoot enough to justify a "real" press. So the Lee hand press it what I have and by it's very nature the shell is always wiggling around in its seat. It just made sense that I needed to really take my time and let the shell center itself and that naturally progressed to me turning 2-3 times while seating.

Now, I never measured, thought about, or noticed it making any difference. But heck, I'm happy to make minute of deer loads for my revolvers (well, I'll be honest...minute of coke-can) and after fighting 60gr bullets in my 1-14" 22-250 I was happy to get true sub MOA groups out of the 53gr barnes.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM

I trim the cases, turn the outside of the necks for a uniform neck wall thickness, and polish the insides with fine steel wool.
I have also radiused and polished the expander ball, and leave it a little loose in the die. I have to full length resize and then some for my 25 wssm shoulders.
I set the bullet on the case neck, as straight as I can, and seat it.
My runout on my case necksand loadedcartridges is about .002", every now and then .004"
I havn't messed with the RCBSshellholder spring..................yet.