Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 My harvest with a ballistic tip >

My harvest with a ballistic tip

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

My harvest with a ballistic tip

Old 11-14-2006, 04:38 PM

Default RE: My harvest with a ballistic tip

That is one beautiful deer.Congrats. The fact that youkilled him withoutusingsomeones one dollar bullet proves that older bullet designs are still viable for deer.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Mossy,

Show us the body with the hide off if you can. I am just curious. I am not anti for or against BT. Never used them so I don't have an opinion.

Nice buck btw
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

Using my .300 Wby I once shot a deer at about 15 yards with a 180 gr. Scirocco. The bullet flattened out tremendously and lodged under the hide on the offside. It was right in the boiler room where you're supposed to hit 'em. So, a theoretical 2 tons of energy transfered, yet this deer managed to run 75 to 100 yards. On the other hand, except for one deer I gut shot accidentally, I've never had one run that far after being shot with a bullet that exited. What does that mean and what's it worth? Maybe nothingsince some folks will report different results. I just know for sure that I prefer exit wounds.
Nobody ever said you would have instant knockdown on every shot. That is the ever elusive "knockdown power" that everyone keeps talking about. It's almost impossible to measure but you sure know when you see it happen. But, it's better than blowing straight through, blasting a huge hole while ruining a bunch of meat and then running 75-100 yards. Which I've seen BTs do time and time again.

People seem to think they need a giant exit wound so they can have lots of blood to trail the animal. I never understood that. I don't want to chase my animals I want them anchored. Almost everything I ever shot didn't have to be trailed and I want to keep it that way.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack
I don't anyone can seriously say that they can't kill deer but they consistently don't perform as well under most conditions as other "big game" bullets like the partition etc.
well, after I shot a deer 2 years ago with a Partiton and had pencil holes on the entrance and exit and then last year shot a deer with an accubond and had pencil sized holes at both ends Id say the ballistic tip in my 7mm did perform as well as the others. I will never load another bullet besides a BT in my 7mm unless I am going for Elk.
That's probably because the partition and the accubond are probably designed for larger game and not just "thin skinned" game like deer. On larger game you want controlled expansion and penetration based on the theory that the vitals on a larger animal like elk are buried deeper and harder for the bullet to reach. Which is the concept most big game bullets are based on.

I'm sure there are time when the hydrostatic pressure of tissue on a partition or an Barnes x bullet isn't enough to make it fully expand properly before exiting a thin skinned animal. There are so many variables involved that it's almost impossible to predict but what we do know is that so called "rapid" or "radical expansion" designs such as the BT can really come back to bite us in the ass.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had more bang-flops with Partitions and Barnesthan any other bullet.................and they all exited.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haugenna

Mossy,

Show us the body with the hide off if you can. I am just curious. I am not anti for or against BT. Never used them so I don't have an opinion.

Nice buck btw
this is the only one I could find, it was taken as soon as we gutted it. this is the exit hole

Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did this to show you the angle and what it went through

Old 11-15-2006, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ajfoyt

My experience is they are garbage I was standing next to a guy talking 3 years ago when a doe walked out 50 yards from us. He shot the thing 3 times in the chest with a .308 and it stood there like nothing hit it. I shot it once with my .270 with 140 gr Hornady's and it dropped like a stone.

When we gutted the deer none of the bullettspenetrated thru the animal and all 3 bullets shattered what a mess. Lots of meat lost.

Maybe the new ones are better but there are like the old winchester silver tips they used to do the same thing. It will take alot of convincing to get me to try them on game. They shoot good maybe at paper.
troll alert.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM

I have had excellent results w/ the newer BT's. I too had the poor results w/the first ones, but believe me they are much better now. I have seen them drop 6 elk in the past 2yrs....same bullet you used on your deer, all with great results. I use them exclusively in all my familys whitetail loads from 55gr .22 cals to 150 and 165 in .30 cals. In between we use .243, .270 and .284's. All are for the most part violent one shot kills. Seems the bigger the caliber the more they run....but never far. That is important in heavily hunted areas.
Yes, they mess up some meat, but there is only one stage of dead...and my goal is to get to that stage ASAP and that seems to be best fulfilled w/the Nosler BT's.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 7mm-08 that My daughter and I use 140 grain bt Winchesters out of.Thisload will not drop the deer in it's tracks(unless,maybe on a shouler hit)We shoot for lungs and the combo has taken 4 deer from 20 yard to 140 yards on deer from 50lbs to 150 lbs and the ammo and caliber have performed flawlessly.WE HAVE NOT HURT ANY MEAT ON THE 4 DEER.The deer are never far but the blood trail is AWESOME.1 was a gut shot(by my daugther) and the blood trail was perfect.

The only deer that the bullet didn't go through was the biggest deer and it was quartering away at about 60-70 yards.

IMO,way too many people go way overkill for deer.I personally feel anything above a .270 is more than one needs for deer.I used to use a .270 with 130 grain ppsp bullets and never had a deer take a step after being shot with it but I did tear up some meat.

Quick Reply: My harvest with a ballistic tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.