Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Cheaper 30 Cal Hunting Bullet? >

Cheaper 30 Cal Hunting Bullet?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cheaper 30 Cal Hunting Bullet?

Old 09-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cheaper 30 Cal Hunting Bullet?

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hey guys,

I would like to load up some hunting ammo for a Swiss K31 7.5x55. It uses a 30 cal bullet. I don't want to shoot premium bullets. Other than the Remington Coreloks what are some other budget 30 cal bullets that I might want to consider?

Shots with this rifle will be within 70 hards.

Thanks

Tom
Speer and Hornady both make good hunting bullets. But the most consistently accurate of the "standard" bullets are those made by Sierra. And I have had no trouble killing deer and caribou with Sierra softpoint/hollowpoint game bullets!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the record I ended up ordering Hornady Interbond 165gr this morning. $27.30 per 100. This is pretty close to 50% cheaper than the Nosler partitions that I've bought before.

If bullet knowledge expert were to compare the Interbond Vs the Partition what would be the points of contention?

Tom
Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Partition is likely to penetrate a tad better I think. However, the Interbond should be plenty of bullet. I'm using the 165 gr. Interbond in my .30-06. I haven't had a chance to kill anything with it yet, but I can say it's plenty accurate.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:05 PM
DM

If bullet knowledge expert were to compare the Interbond Vs the Partition what would be the points of contention?
"If" your driveing the bullets hard, or hit something solid or need deeppenetration there is NO comparison! The NP's are a world better!

I use the std. bullets for practice, and hunt with NP's...

Drilling Man
Old 09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

"If" your driveing the bullets hard, or hit something solid or need deeppenetration there is NO comparison! The NP's are a world better!
And under those conditions,the tsx is even better.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 AM
DM

And under those conditions,the tsx is even better.
BUT, will the TSX also open up at low velocities like a NP does?????

I've found NO bullet that works as well as NP's at BOTH high and low velocities! NP's penetrate better than a bonded bullet,while ALSO opening up faster in small or soft animials at lower velocities than any other bullet i've ever found or designed myself.

Here's a good example. I shot a coyote at something close to 300 yards with a 8mm 200NP with a mv of 2,550 fps and i noticed that the bullet showed a bit of expansion when i was skinning it out. I used the exact same bullet/load to shoot a fairly big bull moose at 150 yards, and the bullet not only expanded fairly quickly, but i got the 100% penetration that i like. Hard to beat that performance, and that's why i stick with them. I've seen this same thing happen many times with other cals. too...

BTW, i also stalked and shot a decent sized bear with that same load at 20 feet and got 100% penetration too!

Drilling Man
Old 09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

BUT, will the TSX also open up at low velocities like a NP does?????
Do not confuse the tsx with the original barnes x.The tsx has a redesigned nose cavity that results in it opening up much better even at lower velocity.And at higher velocity it holds together much better than the partition and easily out penetrates it as well.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
DM

"If" it opens as easily as a NP, and still drives deeper than a NP, it would be a first (and i'm NOT saying it doesn't) as i've found nothing that works as well as NP's.... It's hard to beat a "solid" for driveing deep and that's what an NP becomes after the nose blows off.

Drilling Man
Old 09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i've found nothing that works as well as NP's....
Have you even tried the tsx?I have used both and much prefer the tsx.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
DM

No i haven't, and that's why i'm NOT saying your wrong.... I will buy some if i see them though. It won't take long to test a few and see how they compare....

Thanks for the info..

Drilling Man