Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which is cheaper? >

Which is cheaper?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which is cheaper?

Old 09-30-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Which is cheaper?

Is it cheaper to buy arrows fletched and finished or to fletch cut, and nock your own what are your opinions?[:-] I think it would be cheaper but i think it would be a good thing to know if you were in the middle of the rut and were short on arrow. if ya now what i mean
Old 10-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which is cheaper?

If you do your own arrows you probably want to start yourself out in the spring so you have plenty of time to make consistent arrows for hunting.It does take a few test runs and is not something you can just buy the equipment and all of a sudden you make perfect arrows--if ya know what i mean?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-01-2003, 07:52 AM

Doing your own would be cheaper in the end. I prefer to make up my own because you get to adjust and find what works best.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:46 AM

the initial cost is more but in the long run it will pay off ! you' ll be able to repair damaged ones etc. but like jsasker said start in the spring so you can make them consistent ! or even start this winter , but you may have to crack a window the glue and acetone fumes can get to you after a while .

Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 AM

Personal satisfaction is what you would have to put a price on IMO !! Generally I see finished arrows about $10 more a dz. at a shop. Then if you have them re-fletched it' s $2-$3 per arrow.
If you buy a quality fletching jig , arrow saw, epoxy,fletchings, fletching glue, etc. your going to have over $200 bucks tied up .......plus the cost of the bare shafts and/or components. Now just going with the basics .....that would be about 20 dozen arrows you would need to build to make up your investment. How long do you think it will take you to go through 20 dz arrows ?

Now on the flip side:

How often do you have arrows re-fletched ?
How convenient is it for you to go to the shop ?
How picky are you about having your fletchings done perfect and consistent?
How much do you like knowing how to do your own archery work?
Do you ever feel like switching to a smaller size vane or to feathers, etc. ?
Do you ever feel like trying more helical or less....or straight or offset ?

If all that kind of stuff is not important to you.....I' d buy them fletched !!

Personally I bought a used Bitz. jig w/ a helical clamp and a straight clamp from the local shop for $25 . He lets me cut my arrows on his saw....then I take them home and assemble them myself. My job looks much better than the factory applied fletchings that came on my first arrows......and I know they are more consistent than at a shop because my clamp is set up for my arrows and all of my arrows are done on one clamp ! It a lot of fun too !!

Old 10-01-2003, 09:12 AM
voz
Fork Horn

I' m gonna start refletching my arrows next year...I have carbons, so since I' ve already bought the arrows and they usually don' t break, it' s just maintinance from her on out. I' ve had a few refletched by the locale bow shop with mixed results...seems like when they are busy, you get arrows that loose their fletching quicker than if they aren' t busy.....I don' t like innconsistant results and if I do it myself, I wont have anyone to bitch about but myself....oh yeah, it' ll be cheaper too!!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

all the above are real good points, i myself like to fletch my own that way if i tear a fletch for whatever reason i simply just put it back in the jig and have a perfect fletch reinstalled...
its mostly the convenience of it more than comparing if its feasable.....
Old 10-01-2003, 10:26 AM

well i shoot about 25 to 50 times a day and ive lost 4 or 5 in a couple of months b/c my target is worn out or ill lose a fletchon, but like i was sayin in the first mesg i practice during the season and i usualy have about 5 arrows that i keep around and if you lost 1 and maybe broke one and a fletchon came off of one then you got 2 arrows and if its during the rut and you shoot at 1 and miss and loose it well i hope you can make it count with that one last shot but ne ways the guy w/ the ?' s yes i would like to kno how todo archery. it is inconveitant to goto the pro shop and get arrows. i usually have to have some refletched. very picky. and i might would be able to make a couple of bucks off the deal
Old 10-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you just like doing things for yourself I' d just buy the finished arrows.

Quick Reply: Which is cheaper?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.