Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 7mm Ultra mag, need help >

7mm Ultra mag, need help

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mm Ultra mag, need help

Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Spike

Default 7mm Ultra mag, need help

I've got a Sako 75 with a E.R. Shaw barrel chambered in Remington 7mm ultra mag. Gun does not group to my liking shooting the factory 175 grain A frames. The only other offering in factory ammo is a 140grain, which I believe would be too small for my upcoming elk hunt this fall. At $45/box and poor performace a friend with reloading equipment is going to help me out. I'm having trouble finding data for this round would like any help out there. Overall I'm not happy with this chambering for the non-reloader. I made a mistake having it rechamber from 7mmSTW to it's current ultra-mag. Being a novice I wanted to lighten up the gun a bit and went for a lighter fluted barrel, and while I was at it I would have it chambered for this hot new cartridge from Remington. Well the cartridge is not selling from what I can tell and here I sit. Kind of dug my own grave I guess. Any help would be appreciated. I'm am planning on loading up some Barnes triple shoch x bullets with a recommended powder. What do you think of the bullet and grain weight for elk? Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm Ultra mag, need help

I have seen the results of elk and moose killed with the 140gr tsx and they performed very well.I own two 7mmstws and a 7mmultramag,and I find that the ultramag case really doesn't add much with the 7mm bullets.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Have your buddy reload some 154gr Hornady Interbonds. They group great in my 7RUM and are plenty of bullet for elk.

They are also selling 150 Scirrocco factory loads. I think that would also be plenty of bullet for your elk hunt.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have seen the results of elk and moose killed with the 140gr tsx and they performed very well
2nd that!!! Last fall 140gr tsx and my 7mm rem mag combined to harvest2 bull's -elk and moose...no quamsfrom me 1 shot and notched tag was the result. I found the tsx very easy to find a shooting load. I think your thought process is right on handloading andTSX should make a fine combination for the 7 RUM....but the elk might not be so thrilled!

Good Luck
Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Spike

Update, my friend after doing some research has decided to pass on reloading for me. He is fairly new to reloading centerfires and with the lack of published data does not feel comfortable. So I'm back to factory rounds. On sunday I shot a factory load of Rem 175g swift a-frames. At 100 yards I produced 3 shot group of about 3". They all hit 2" high which is ok, and they strung out left to right above the bulls eye horizontally. So all in all not bad cosidering I have not done alot of bench shooting. At 200yardsmy group was about 5", and 300yards I was low about 5" and sprayed them bottom right. I just discovered Remington offers a 150grain Swift Scirocoo for the 7mm RUM. I have not seen any on the shelves, but how would this bullet perform on Elk? I know I need more range time, and plan to do so untill I leave Oct 18. At $45/box it kinda hurts though! Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best powder for the 7mm RUM we found is Accurate Arms 8700. Try a 175 gr. Hornady Inner Lock SP. AA 8700 MIN. 92.7 grs. Vel. 2975 f/s; MAX. 103.0 grs. Vel. 3224 f/s. START AT MIN. This load is published in the "Accurate Reloaders Guide 2004". Good luck.