Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

It's Stuck!!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
JPF
Fork Horn

Default It's Stuck!!

Gentlemen,

Me and my buddy are relatively new to reloading. But we've reloaded smoothly and succesfully the past couple years ( not alot of rounds, 1000ish), but anyway heres our problem we've run into.

We've been reloading 7mm rem mags. and have done so with the same dies and brass successfully, but lately it seems when sizing them some of them are tighter than hell. We've actually broke the pin on the bottom of the press a couple times. Are we using to much lube, not enough lube, most cases are once fired but not tumbles ( is it possible that there dirty) but the the next case will be ok. Anything obvious i'm overlooking??
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's Stuck!!

Is your decapping pin cranked down too far into the die? Sounds like you aren't using enough case lube. What are you using for a case lube? The spray is by far the best for resizing. Clean out your dies with a can of air brake cleaner, then spray the inside of the diewith the case lube. Spread your cases on a clean towel with the necks facing you. Give them a spray, turn them 1/2 turn and spray them again. That should solve your problem of stuck cases. As for the pin issue, try backing it up some. Is everything tight on the top of the die? It is possible that you have bent the rod if you have been applying mega pressure.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
bigcountry

Redgreen gave good advise. But I am confused why breaking pins. Unless you decapper is not lined up correctly. Do you mean pin on die or some other pin on "press"? I use a universal decapper before sizing anyway. Only time I break alot of pins is ammo with primers that was sealed.

Alot of people neglect thier dies. And dies especially Leeand RCBS has a tendency to gather crap and rust inside if not used alot.

It also sounds as if you might want to tumbleyou cases also. I do mine every 3rd fire. Some every fire.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Imperial Wax to lube my cases it seems to be the best lube I have used yet. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Check to see if the expander ball is loose, the pin is held centered by the expander ball being tight on the rod, if it's loose the pin will be crooked and break.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM

On most dies there are 2 little holes on the sides, I do know from experience that if they are stopped up, it will create a vacum that makes it hard to to pull the case down, as for the breaking of the decapping pin this is a bent rod, or the rod is loose. I hope this might help.
Wolfhound.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:11 AM
JPF
Fork Horn

thanks for the tips guys, the pin thats breaking isnt the decapping pin, its actually a roll pin on the bottom of the press, its breaking from apply lots of pressure trying to remove the stuck case
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would send the dies back to the manufacture along with a explanation of your problem. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:11 PM

What kind of press are you using? If it is possable could you use a grade 8 bolt instead of a roll pin? What does the neck of the cases look like when you do get them out, are they all bent up? I have had a problem with the case necks colapsing and causing them to pull out hard but never broke the press. I would defenitly clean the die with carb and choke cleaner or brake cleaner and a q tip and make sure the vent holes are clear. (personaly I like carb&choke cleaner, it dont leave the residue like brake clean. Just a little tip I picked up on welding alum)
Shane
Old 08-28-2006, 09:20 AM
DM

This sounds to me like dirty brass/dies/ or not enough lube, or better yet, clean everything up and switch to Imperial sizeing die wax....

I have seen this happen before, and it pretty much points to the above...

Drilling Man