Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 6mm Remington ammo >

6mm Remington ammo

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

6mm Remington ammo

Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default 6mm Remington ammo

Any opinions on the Federal Power-Shok ammo. Looking at the 80gr. load (Muzzle Velocity: 3470 fps--Muzzle Energy: 2139 ft. lbs.) in 6mm Remington to shoot through my Ruger M77 24" heavy barrel.[/align][/align]Is the 6mm Remington ammo in various factory loads becoming harder to come by, or is it just me? Yes, I know, time to reload. [/align]
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6mm Remington ammo

i agree 6mm factory ammo is a bear to come by. I shoot 105gr remington extended range flat based shells. I am very pleased by their preformance remington quit making them like 5yr ago but theres a sports shop in my town that has a few boxes left and i just picked a extra one up tonight because i saw there were only 3 left so after the holiday season im gona go pick up the other 3 so ill be set for awhile. I also reload my 6mm but these shells shoot awesome in my gun and penetrate beyond belief so if it and broke dont fix it. I'm using my reloads for varmit hunting currently but when i run outa these shells im done with buying ammo. I'm gona roll em all. As for 80gr in 6mm im sure they will work fine but for deer size game i like to shoot atleast a 95gr but place it right and im sure u'll be eating venison. Good luck...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, choices are very limited for the 6 mm around here any ways and that’s why I reload.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you re-load.

Happy shooting.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

Any opinions on the Federal Power-Shok ammo. Looking at the 80gr. load (Muzzle Velocity: 3470 fps--Muzzle Energy: 2139 ft. lbs.) in 6mm Remington to shoot through my Ruger M77 24" heavy barrel.
[/align]
[/align]Is the 6mm Remington ammo in various factory loads becoming harder to come by, or is it just me? Yes, I know, time to reload.
[/align]
Always is, if you want optimum performance!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:07 AM

My brother has an old Rem M600 Mowhawk in 6mm, 18.5" barrel. He has had outstanding success on mule deer with Rem 100 gr Corelock factory loads. So goodthat he does not reload for it. Bullet expansion is dependable and so far so good. We have cronographed the loads at 2875 fps from that 18.5" barrel.
His twin daughters love the 6mm. Both have shot some nice bucks with it. The post mortum examinations have always left a very favorable impression upon him. He has never been disappointed.
Myself, I use a 100gr Sierra BT at 3020 fps in my Ruger #1 which is chambered in 6mm Rem too. I use H4831SC, CCI 200's, and Rem Brass.

Don
Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

A 18.5" barrel for the 6mm Rem.Interesting. Always thought a 24" tube would be a good choice for that round. If you have good results, nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:05 PM

You might check with Federal. Most 80 grain bullets for 6MM are made for varmint hunting, and do not have enough penetration for deer size game.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm gona hafta spike my reloads up or something cuz i have a remington model 7 with a 20" barrel and im only getting 2850fps and ur getting 2875 out of a 18.5 sounds like im gona hafta experiment. I may cancel that idea though the 2850 seems just about the right speed with the 95gr nosler ballistic tips outa the cartridge. I feel the 6mm rem is one of the most underrated cartridges on the market. If they just woulda had the twist rate right when the introduced it as a 244. im sure it would've outshined the 243. I've used both and talked to people who have used both even though they both shoot the same bullet everyone i've talked to has had better preformance with the 6mm they said they haven't nor have i seen any cripples on good shots with the 6mm. But i had 2 bad experiences with the 243 both on around 120lb whitetail does. both resulted in dead deer but it required extreme effort on my part even with good lung shots. It wasn't bad bullet construction either i shot one with a 100gr sierra semi point, and another with a 100grremington core lokt.The 6mm to me just seems to have a little more punch to do the job a little better. I had a 243 bullet lodge in the shoulder on a quartering away doe from about 150yd it was very slightly quartering away and the bullet didn't strike any bones and it lodged in the meat in the inside of the far shoulder. It resulted in a dead deer but not near the preformance i wanted. I've shot a wild boar and a whitetail doe and buck all through the shoulders with a 6mm remington and penetration is no issue what so ever my slug always exits the animal causing a massive wound and making recovery very very easy. Both guns are good deer size calibers in my opinion with proper shot placement, but if given the option im going to take the 6mm rem over the 243 any day.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:26 PM

Slayer,

I would not sweat a few extra FPS. The only reason I would monkey with a load when you are at the point your are at is in the name of accuracy.
I messed aound with 95gr Nosler PT's in my 6mm. They shot well.

D-Squared