Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 165 tripple shock waste of money >

165 tripple shock waste of money

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

165 tripple shock waste of money

Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default 165 tripple shock waste of money

I have now shot 4 deer in the last 2 weeks all with my 300 ultra mag with the barnes 165gr tripple shock , all 4 of the deer I shot had a small entrance hole witch is fine but none of them had a decent exit, meaning they went every witch way in the deer ,3 deer shot in the heart lung area exited 10 to 12 inches into the guts or spine,2 of the 4 ran about100yds before expiring, at $27.00 for a box of 50 bullets, no thanks I'll go back to sierra"s
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Default RE: 165 tripple shock waste of money

How far did the other two go? 4 deer shot and 4 deer recovered inside of 100yds? What part of dead is the bullet not performing up too? []What kind of results were you really expecting? Even with a 300Ultra the chances for a "dead in their tracks" hit from a clean lung/heart shot are slim. It is VERY hard to drop them in their tracks unless you take out their shoulders, neck or spine. Most honest "clean" lungshots I put on deer with my Warbird shooting 150TSXs result in at least a few steps being taken.

If you had two holes in the deer and trailed them 100yds apiece I assume it was rather easy to follow the bloodtrail? IMHO that is preferable too me, I want COMPLETE penetration and the TSX is about the only thing that will stay together over 3500fps.

Sorry you don't like em. What bullet did you use before?
RA
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even with a 300Ultra the chances for a "dead in their tracks" hit from a clean lung/heart shot are slim.
That has not been my experience at all.I have takenapproximately three dozen deer,8 elk and2 moose using ballistic tips in my257wby,7mmstw and 300ultramag and not one of those animals covered 50 yards after being hit.The vast majority either dropped on the spot or within a few yards.I use lung shots exclusively.That being said,I now use the 180gr tsx in my 300ultramags for moose and elk because they offer superior penetration whilematching the ballistic tips accuracy.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was tickled pink with the performance of the TSX on elk and moose this fall but less than impressed with them for deer. In the case of the deer they just zipped through leaving a poor blood trail, small wound channelsand a decent after the shot scamper of a double lung shot on a doe. I will stick to NBT's or AB's for deer hunting, both have worked lovely out of my 7mm rem mag. I do think you can have to much bullet for a deer and IME (albeit only 2 deer) the TSX falls into that category for me. I have shot deer with a failsafe and never experienced the same problems.

As far as where the bullets exited that had to be the line of path, angle of shot. The TSX proved to me to be a real digger and on a deer not much is going to slow them. I saw one go darn near from one end out the other, yet the damage to the rear ham was suprisely low for the result. Fanatistic bullet but certainly not required for whitetails, JMHO.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personaly I wouldn’t use 165 gr. TSX on deer from the 300 Ultra Mag. To much power for a bullet that hold up well. I think the TSX are better designed for large body game unless lighter and smaller caliber bullets are being used for deer. Just my 2¢...
Old 12-09-2005, 06:33 AM
bigcountry

To be honest man, what you doin using a TSX with 300RUM on deer?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM

This pretty much mirrors my experience. There are no free lunches in the terminal ballistics game - bullets that penetrate very deeply do so at the expense of a smaller wound channel. Having said that, if you were going to shoot one bullet for everything that moves with a .300 Ultra Mag, the TSX might not be a bad choice.

You could kill small critters like coyotes and antelope without blowing them up severely. Deer are going to run a little ways on broadside rib shots, but you are going to get them in the freezer. And if you need to drop them DRT, a shoulder shot is always an option - won't destroy a lot of meat even after hitting big bones. For bigger critters like elk and moose, you have absolutely reliable penetration.

Give me a minute and I'll talk myself into going back to these bullets.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

for the same reason SOME people use a 180 accubond with a 300rum for deer
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt exclusively with a 270 and our little group shot three animals this fall with 140 grain TSXs and we were really impressed with the results and damage. An antelope and a whitetail were both takenwith one shot in the ribs and they didn'tgo far. And another whitetail was shot by a newer hunter in our group right through the hips (and then neck).. Bad quartering away shot. Anyhow, the damage and wound canal wasmassive. I was sold..Unfortunately a lotof good meatwas ruined butit was impressive,looked like a damage from a magnum. All of the bullets were pass throughs..

Before we tried Barnes I've onlyrecovered two bullets from 'one shot' kills and they performed as expected however the bullets didn't look like anything you'd see from their manufacturer's catalogue.. One 150 grain Game King (from a whitetail) was nothing more than just the copper bulletjacket missing the leadthat expanded to one side. And then there was a 150 grain partition (from an elk) that mushroomed perfectly but the reare lead portion was missing.. Theserecovered bullets did their job as advertized but the lead came out and they are the reason why I went with a solid copper bullet and I am very happy with our Barnes' experience.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

for the same reason SOME people use a 180 accubond with a 300rum for deer
Mossy, for me there is a big difference in using a accubond or interbond and using a TSX.

Quick Reply: 165 tripple shock waste of money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.