Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 165 tripple shock waste of money >

165 tripple shock waste of money

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

165 tripple shock waste of money

Old 12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 165 tripple shock waste of money

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Mossy, for me there is a big difference in using a accubond or interbond and using a TSX.
eitherin a 300 rum on our 140 lb MD deer are too much, i think i found that out this fall
Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Bullets are like engines one has high torque and one has high horsepower, to get an engine that works for every dayyou have to comprimise one. Bullets it's the same, you have to give uppenetration or expantion to get a bullet that works for everyday hunting.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:52 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

Mossy, for me there is a big difference in using a accubond or interbond and using a TSX.
eitherin a 300 rum on our 140 lb MD deer are too much, i think i found that out this fall
Mossy, you ought to work up a 150gr load for that gun for deer. Lower that sectional density some and I bet you won't see what you saw again.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy, you ought to work up a 150gr load for that gun for deer. Lower that sectional density some and I bet you won't see what you saw again.
already a step ahead of ya! I got a box of Nosler 150 B/Ts, and a box of CT 150's!! I thinking I should be able to push them to 3350-3400 with anormal middle of the road charge.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
bigcountry

Well, not sure BT's would be the best choice at those speeds, but another accubond might work for ya.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: fishead

I have now shot 4 deer in the last 2 weeks all with my 300 ultra mag with the barnes 165gr tripple shock , all 4 of the deer I shot had a small entrance hole witch is fine but none of them had a decent exit, meaning they went every witch way in the deer ,3 deer shot in the heart lung area exited 10 to 12 inches into the guts or spine,2 of the 4 ran about100yds before expiring, at $27.00 for a box of 50 bullets, no thanks I'll go back to sierra"s
Well that's good to know, cause I couldn't get the darn things to group worth a darn in my Sakos.I stuck with the Game Kings and Pro Hunters. They work for me. Regards, Rick.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

After 30 years of using almost nothing but reloads for big game, I would be happy as hell to never shoot anything but the Federal Fusion loads again. I just bought half a case of the 130's for my 270. This year on mulies they are seven for seven. Five dead in thier tracks and two went a total of 50 yards. I have seen great performance from several different bullets but none equal these. I am a happy customer. I will try them in my 308 next.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:40 PM

I choose to disagree with some of the statements. A triple shock bullet of anysize going 3400fps is like having a full metal jacketed bullet zipping through an animal. That's why all the small exit holes were talked about. I know they expand and do their job but they do it better if they hit a hard bone like a shoulder. The rib cage don't put much resistance in their path for expansion. Cape buffalo and brown bears good bullet.

Then comes the ballistic tip bullets. They look cool and fly true but why does someone want to lose 1/3 of their bullet mass on impact. They are making the lead tougher today and the ballistic tips have been preforming well but when the hornady SST first came out it was like having a varmit bullet for deer. Shrapnel.

I get to see alot of animals everyyear fall to different calibers and bullet types. And over the years its been hard to beat the Nosler Partition and Good ole lead soft pointed bullets.

The best a bullet can do is when it's stuck in the hide on the opposite side of the entrance hole. Then the bullet has released all the energy it had stored. Exiting the animal is just wasted energy. Better blood trail but one shouldn't need that.

But in defense of all bullets. A broadside shot through the ribcage is a dead animal reguardless of what brand you stick on the label. The man who shoots well kills well.

I know I know pretty tough talk for a one eyed fat man
Old 12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

A triple shock bullet of anysize going 3400fps is like having a full metal jacketed bullet zipping through an animal.
A tsx going too slowdoes not expand wellbut the ones that I have seen that were traveling at high velocity expanded quite well even without striking heavy bone.In fact the faster they are moving,the more they expand.