Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 The Amazing 85 gr. Sierra HPBT >

The Amazing 85 gr. Sierra HPBT

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

The Amazing 85 gr. Sierra HPBT

Old 10-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Amazing 85 gr. Sierra HPBT

I have used them to good luck with broadside shot deer, all one shot stops. I switched to the Sierra 100gr SBT becaue it was more accurate in my gun and killed as well or better. Between the two of them I really think the 100gr only holds the edge if you plan on shoulder breaking. I have put the 100gr SBT thru both shoulders on several big michigan whitetails. Federal loads both bullets in thier premium line, its a hell of a wolf bullet too.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:38 AM

I've been loading the 85gr Sierra since 1985 in my .243 with amazing results. I've taken countless deer from all different angles and EVERY ONE has been a 1 shot kill. The only one that didn't drop in it's tracks was one that dressed out at 205 lbs, and it didn't go 10 yards. That particular deer was shot at 130-140yards straight on. This is a very effective bullet, bone or no bone, period.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta admit, I've never tried it on deer. Loaded it in both a heavy barrel varmint, and a sporter weight barrel also. Both rifles were used exclusively for ground hogs and coyote hunting. Excellent accuracy in both. Probably have the loading data in my files if anyone would like it---

Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 PM

Well, another buck dropped to the 85 Sierra HPBT Sunday night. My brother in law, using the same gun/load, walked up a big mulie buck sleeping in a little dry wash. He got to within 35 yards and the deer stayed put. Only target was the head and neck. He shot the buck in the "voice box" and the bullet exploded in his spine and neck muscles. As you might imagine, this was a "lights out" shot.

Through some kind of nervous system reflex, the deer bit off the last two inches of his tongue apparently at the moment he was shot. Due to the high impact velocity and the heavy bone/muscle, the bullet came apart and did not exit.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Solitary...I would think the 85 gr HPBT would do fine in that Ruger compact...If I remember right they have a 16 1/2 inch barrel...so you won't be pushing it as fast as my Ruger (rebarreled to 24 inches)...I would guess you could hit about 2700 fps...I have killed several out there at 250-300...So if his range would be around 100 yards...the velocity at point of impact should be roughly the same...They do mushroom well at that range...At a lower velocity they will upset less and retain their weight better...I was also concerned about hitting bones at close range and have killed several inside of 50 yards, hitting some in the lungs and some through both shoulder blades...didn't have a problem recovering any of these...These are not your typical hollow points...most people hear hollow point and think they "blow up" on impact...In skinning the deer killed with this bullet I have noticed that it actually penetrates a couple of inches before it opens up, and then penetration depends upon impact velocity and the amount of bones it hits...It has always penetrated through the body cavity and at that point you are just messing up meat on the other side...As I stated, it gives an exit hole with center lung shots and on high shoulder shots it penetrates both shoulder blades...

Actually a worst case senereo is the speeds that Roskoe is pushing the bullet...as you know the faster you push a bullet, the faster it will open up...I've noticed exactly the same thing Roscoe mentioned...On lung shots, deer hit with Partitons run farther than deer hit with the "softer" bullets like the Sierra 100gr SPBT...The Partitions give a exit wound, but its not as big in diameter as the 85gr HPBT...I tend to like a bullet that will give a good exit wound on center lung shot deer, but not on high shoulder (bullet through both shoulder blades) shot deer...If the bullet is hard enough to always exit on high shoulder shots, then that deer will run 100-125 yards with a center lung shot...In some areas that is OK...in the swamps and cutovers in eastern NC I don't want that...

I'd be curious to know how fast you can push it with the Ruger Compact...
Let us know how things go with your son....Best of Luck
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

nchawkeye, thanks for the additional information. I've decided to load up some of those Sierras and see how they do this comingweekend on paper. I was getting right at 2900 fps this past weekend with the 85 gr. TSX's and 43.5 grains of IMR 4350. I'd like to be able to get about 2800 with the Sierras. Virtually all shot opportunities will be at distances of less than 100 yards, sowe should be okay with this velocity. If they shoot okay, I may decide to go ahead and let my son hunt with themthis season. You have offered a very convincing argument on their behalf, that's for sure.

As far as this rifle is concerned, I'm thinking about having a longer barrel installed on it after the season is over. I'm thinking about 20" or maybe 22". That'll give us some more velocity to work with. Plus, with this current barrel being so short, the muzzle blast is kind of severe.My son is really not enjoyingthis rifleas much asheexpected andthat's in large part due to the short barrel which puts the muzzle blast a little too close for his comfort.Eventually I would expect him to get over this, but the extra velocity a longer barrel would offer will give us a little more flexibility with it anyway. So, after the season's over I think that's what I'll do, have a local smith rebarrel it.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds good...I always wear hearing protection when sighting in and also put an ear plug in my left ear before I shoot at game...I usually know about when I will start seeing deer, so I usually do this at "prime time"...I think the muzzle blast is part of the reason shooters start to flinch as much as the recoil....Thats also one reason I went to a 24 inch barrel...I have ringing in the ears, and it can sometimes drive you crazy...I when I was younger I worked on too many chainsaws, John Deere tractors and went to see the Rolling Stones, 3 Dog Night and Crosby, Stills Nash & Young....
I guess thats why they call it "Young and Dumb....
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

We always wear ear and eye protection when shooting off the bench. But even so, when that blast is only a few inches away,you hear it pretty well and also, you can feel it too.

I can't relate to the chainsaws, my experiencewith them is limited, but I did spend a good amount of my younger days on tractors (IH 1466 mostly)and I've gone to my share of concerts also. Let's see.........I rememberseeing the Doobie Brothers, Rod Stewart, Earth Wind & Fire and a few others. I think I came through all that pretty good, though, as my hearing is pretty much intact, although my wife would tend todisagree with that. LOL
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM

Roskoe

The Sierra 85gn HPBT with 44gns of AR2209 (=H4350) was THE load for my old Ruger 243. They consistently grouped 0.5MOA with 5-shots and nailed everything from Bunnies to Boars, no problem.

Highly recommended.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Spike

The 2nd day of gun season in N.Y.'s Southern Zone I dropped an 8 pt. buck using my Tikka .243 and the 85gr. Sierra HP loaded with 37gr. of IMR-4064. It was a broadside shot through the lungs. All he did was turn around, take 3or 4 steps & go down. For years I used a 30/06 and after similar shots the deer would run 30 to 60 yards before dropping. I am sold on this bullet!!!

Quick Reply: The Amazing 85 gr. Sierra HPBT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.