Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 300 WBY Mag Elk Load >

300 WBY Mag Elk Load

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300 WBY Mag Elk Load

Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 AM

Default 300 WBY Mag Elk Load

Heading out to Montana for the first time in a couple months to try for elk. I need to find a load for my 300 wby. I was thinking of trying the Barnes TSX or the Nosler Partition. I have shot the Barnes X bullet with good accuracy for this caliber (<1moa).Anyone with any experience with these bullets, or any other bullets that would be well suited for elk out of this caliber, please respond.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 WBY Mag Elk Load

either of those in 180 grains of heavier should be fine
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 AM

That's what i figure. I wasthinking toward the 168gr TSX since barnes bullets hold together so well. I handload all of my own ammo, so i have room to play around. I was just looking for a good starting load, so i don't have to go out and spend a bunch on a couple different boxes of bullets.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont load for the 300 wby mag but i do load for 300 win mag. I dont have any loads to give you as a starter but i will say this anybody could give you a load to start with that may have done good in their rifle but wont neccisarilly do well in yours just keep that in mind. As for bullet choice I really would go with atleast a 180 grain TSX from my experience the lighter bullets dont do well in my 300 win mag its seems to prefer the 180 grain or heavier id imagine it would go the same for a 300 wby mag if you havent bought powder yet or have some H4350 around you might give it a shot I have had the best consistancy with it in my 300 win mag. good luck
Old 07-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never shot an elk with my 300 Wby but I will say that it likes Barnes Triple Shocks. The point of impact was similar to soft nose bullets of the sameweight also so I didn't have to spend as much money getting "on the paper". The 150 grain Barnes will weigh more than a 180 grain Nosler by the time it gets half way through the elk. 168 should be fine if they shoot well from your rifle. I use RL22 in my rifle for most loads and have good luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a load I like in my .300 Wby Sako:

168 gr. Barnes TSX
RL22 84grs.
Fed215M primer
Norma brass

If you choose to try this load remember to start out with less powder and work up. This is especially true if you substitute a different component. This is a maximum load in my rifle.

I've also hadvery good luck with IMR7828in my .300 Wby. Overall, ithas probably worked better than any other powder. H4831 is anotherone to consider.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bullet construction is far more important thant bullet weight.The 168gr tsx will work fine.It will outpenetrate any partition of any weight.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Although the Barnes X and Nosler Partitions are great bullets, I would give the 180 Swift Scirocco's a whirl. If they will shoot in your gun, the terminal performance is impressive. Roskoe.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:42 AM

I have some good loads using H4831 and RL22 both, as i think these are the best two powders that shoot out of my rifle. I have a couple good loads for different bullets, but none of them i would trust for elk. I have never hunted elk, but i would imagine they can take a good hit, as a friend of mine demonstrated by hitting one in the "sweet spot" with an 8mm Magnum(200+ gr bullet) , and the elk ran off like nothing was wrong. He did find the elk about 100 yds from the original impact location, with a perfect shot.

how is the penetration on the Sciroccos?

Thanks for the info guys. A buddy of mine shoots a 300 RUM and he has a box of 168gr TSX bullets, so i'm gonna try a few.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:22 AM

While most premium bullet manufacturers are trying to increase penetration over conventional bullets, the Swift Sciroccos appear designed to pancake out considerablywithout coming apart - and subsequently make a bigger wound channel at about the same level of penetration as conventional bullets. They will put an elk on the ground faster than anything I have seen so far,but still can break big bones if necessary.

One of my companions was completing the trigger squeeze on an elk about 350 yard away last fall - when it bolted just as the gun went off. The 180 grain Scirocco out of a .300 Min Mag hit the elk squarely in the pelvic bone. Elk dropped in his tracks. Bullet was found under skin on opposite side. Even after penetrating the biggest bone and heaviest muscle in the animal, it still was intact and weighed 166 grains. Not a pretty shot, but an impressive endorsement of this bullet's ability to hold together.

Quick Reply: 300 WBY Mag Elk Load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.