Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Filled the freezer - Got Moose! >

Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Old 10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Filled the freezer - Got Moose!

Nice goin Skeeter. I shot a young one myself also with 160 accubonds out of my 7 rem mag. What did you think of the Accubonds performance? For some reason I can't post a picture of mine, it keeps telling me there is no Data to read? I also just bagged my first pronghorn last week. that was a blast too!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Terry congrats on your bull as well.

I used the AB's to harvest a bull elk and the moose this fall. In the Elk the shot was approx 130-150yards, double lung, he showed signs of being hit hard and wobbled within a few yards till toppling. Bullet trashed both lungs, entrance was bullet diameter and exited far side behind the shoulder leaving approx 1 1/2 - 2" hole. Bull moose 100 yards first shot perfect broadside, double lung and second shot heart shot. Bull as moose often do showed little sign of after first hit but I knew it was true and decide to give him one more the heart shot humped him hard and he nose dived quick. He managed to go about 30 yards total from first shot. Vitals were soup, only a few piece of lung were visible and both bullets performed as with the elk exiting with 1 1/2 - 2" holes. Since I never had to track either animal I never paid attention to how much or how good of blood trail was produced though. Did you notice this factor in your case?? How ever being the relatively short distance and high velocity I was both suprised and extremely pleased with the penetration of the AB. I would say it worked as advertised in both retention and expansion on my hunts. In terms of accuracy it was better than my NP load of previous and main reason I just had to give it a go this year. I feel I found an excellent Elk/Moose bullet for my rifle. Very tough and accurate bullet is my opinion. I will say these results have me a bit leary in using it on thin skinned animals such as deer and as such I plan to switch to back to NBT's for these hunts.

What were your thoughts or experience?

To post a pic, click the upload feature (Click here to upload), click browse, click the pic or document you want to attach (must be saved to your c drive!), click open (file can not be more than 100KB in size, if larger reduce prior with editing SW to 100kb or less), then click ok and check embed picture in post.

Hope that helps if not email it to me @ [email protected] and I can do it for you.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter,
I shot my moose at a little over 100 yds and my shot went a little high and hit the bottom of the spine and did not exit. He dropped on the spot at the shot. He was still breathing when I walked up to him so I put a second into his neck and it completelly shed its lead core and did not go through the neck! That is why I am so curious about your bullet performance. Sounds like it performed perfectly for you. I still get no data with your instructions so I will email them to you. Thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Terry I had a Nosler Partition do that on finishing shot on of our crew bull elk a few years ago. The bullet didn't pentrate through the neck either and was in pieces with only a small part of the shank found. I attributed it to PB range and MV being high, certainly the NP has worked for me and countless others on big game animals so I wouldn't say it was failure.

Quick questions for you, as now I am curious. On the first shot where did you find your bullet? What did it look like in retention and expansion? Did it break bone(spine) or deflect in your opinion? Since I never encounter any heavy bone just thick hides on both my animals, I am curious if you felt it would work on busting into heavy shoulder shot if it arose or the NP's would be the better choice on the likes of Moose and Elk!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter,
I never recovered my first bullet. It drove deep into the shoulder and I was hoping the butcher would return it but the guy who dropped off the moose never mentioned it to him so if he found it he likely tossed it. The bullet did not go through but did drive into the toughest part of a large moose( Full of large bones) and dropped him completely paralyzed. I will be paying close attention to field reports in the next few weeks from users of Accubonds. I truely want it to succeed as its a great shooting bullet in my rifle. If negative reports start to surface I think I will try 160gr. Failsafes next time as they are proven as good penetrators. Your point about the point blank range to the neck makes sense as it was hot load. I was just reading an ad on the Hornady Interbonds and they claim 90% weight retention for thier bonded bullets! Might have to test a box.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:30 AM

Congrats Skeeter! That sounds like you had a great hunt. I wish someday to hunt moose. Exciting to say the least.