Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 filled my vt moose tag oct 18! >

filled my vt moose tag oct 18!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

filled my vt moose tag oct 18!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default filled my vt moose tag oct 18!

ok, so i am a little slow posting this, it is posted in big game, too, but i have to brag a little bit....what an unreal time this past weekend was, rainy, rotten weather, cold, etc. i had my dad as a second and a friend as "guide". we got permission to park our rv on a private road right in some of the most perfect moose country one could find anyplace in the world, and in fact i chased a cow moose down the road on the way in to camp friday night. on saturday, we had a conversation with a bull that we never saw, which was fine since i had a permit only good for a cow or immature bull. on the way out in the road another cow stood in front of me, as if to tease me. on sunday my friend saw one in the woods, but by the time he and i got parked and back to the spot, we saw nothing but tracks. what rotten weather it was, i heard that the weather in maine was similar. on monday, it was jst my dad and i, my friend didn't get the day off, which was kind of cool, dad and i have never done anything quite like this before together. we hunted, scouted, and ate the morning away, both knowing that we had to return to work on tuesday. about two in the afternoon, we hiked to a cutoff that we had sat on the last two mornings. the weather was now nice, we had seen animals going out on trailers, things were looking up. nothing in the cutoff, but i tried the cow call anyway. maybe 3 minutes goes by, and dad says " pat, MOOSE" . i stopped, but knew it had to have horns, and it did of course. but, at least we had finally seen an animal in the daylight. we left, then returned about 4, and there were two guys in MY spot. the bull had crossed the road in front of someone else, word got round, you know the story. so, we drove around, weighing in our options, checking out some new spots. we hunted in Granby, vt on paper company land. on their roads, you can shoot from the road at something in the road, whereas all other roads, you must be 10 feet off, and the moose 100 yards off the road. it was now about 6,shooting hours ended at 6:32, crunch time. i asked dad to drive to another cutoff, we hadn't seen anyone there yet. on the way, we stopped at this swamp to check things out, then continued on to the other spot. maybe 300 yards down the road from where we stopped, i had dad turn around, saying that it was just too dark to see the entire cut. boy am i glad we did. right where we had stopped maybe 2 minutes earlier, in the swamp stood a huge( i thought) moose! the tires had barely stopped before the .06 was letting the lead fly! i can't believe had hard the cow went down, two lung shots at 70 yards, 180 grain, nosler bullets, and she still crossed the brook, but the third shot took her down. well, we both missed work on tuesday to get the cow weighed in. 682 lbs! that was one hell of a good weekend, we got her at 6:20, shooting hours only went until 6:32. . sorry the story is so long, but it was a good weekend worth reliving. Pat
Old 11-05-2004, 05:32 AM

Default RE: filled my vt moose tag oct 18!

Pictures....