S/Central Ontario public land >

S/Central Ontario public land

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

S/Central Ontario public land

Old 03-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default S/Central Ontario public land

Up to this point all of my hunting has been on friends private land, but I'm looking for somewhere closer so I can spend more time afield.
Is hunting allowed in Simcoe County forests?
I know that I can obtain a map of crown land from the MNR and mean to, can anyone recommend any other map series that may include blocks of public land that we can utilize for hunting and fishing?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Default RE: S/Central Ontario public land

In Southern Ontario there is very little public land. Simcoe county is one area and the Ganaraska Forest another. The Ganaraska Forest isn`t really public because you must be a member of the users group or risk a tresspassing charge. I think the fees have went up again and will now cost about $150 per year per person to hunt. Don`t forget this is also one of the heaviest hunted pieces of ground around with most of the best hunting found on private land that surrounds the forest. Before hunting make sure you know exactly where the boundries are because some of us that hunt the private land plan on pressing charges even for "lost hunters" this year. Last year seen dozens, yes dozens of hunters cross onto private land around the forest.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I completely understand your position on tresspassers T_M, thats why I'm here asking the question

Would the Simcoe county offices be able to provide a boundy map of their public forests? I'm mainly interested in Turkey (shotgun) and deer (bow), are there any restrictions on firearms beyond the MNR regs?

Adrian, I'd appreciate your 2 cents because I know your local to one of the areas I'd like to hunt.

Thnx guys
Old 03-14-2004, 01:06 PM

Whats the ganny like for hunting? many deer? its about half hour from my house, we go snowmobiling in there a lot..alot of pines..im guessing good grouse hunting
Old 03-14-2004, 06:09 PM

The best part of the Ganny( Central section) is completely closed to hunting. The west section has deer but is also got lots of dirt bikes and ATV`s. The east section has numerous small blocks surrounded by private land and the deer there usually get pushed to private land after opening day( also no treestands allowed). I personally have only deer hunted there once and the crowds conviced me to look elsewhere.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

S/C Ontario, has two wooded plots of lands looked after by the County. Dufferin County and Simcoe County, now the Dufferin has changed over the number of years and charge a small fee. Simcoe is still the same. These plots of forest spread all across the counties and some can be very good to hunting both Turkey and Deer. One thing to keep in mind is that they are hunted by others. This is for everyone! Please if you plan hunting these areas in Deer season, scout the area for signs of other hunters that use them aswell. (Looking for Stands). Respect is a key to getting along while in these areas. I never have a problem in helping others, The lack of respect that I got this passed Fall just gave me a sore tooth after finding out that someone decided to build a Tree stand 150 yards up a well used trail that I was already on. I live right beside this area and use it all the time. As far as I know the MNR has maps to these areas. I would call the Midhurst area. 705-725-7500 ...BT