Old 03-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Once again Otis, many thanks!!
Perhaps if you ever plan a to hunt or fish in Pa or decide to hunt whitetails in Illinois I might be able to return your favors and would certainly be glad to do so!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

my second trip i went on was in 2002 i went december 15-17 which is supposed to be considered late enough that caribou should be near camp. there is no guarantee that the animals will be there in great numbers every year though!!. i had to travel about 10 + miles to see caribou. they werent right at camp and were no where near in the thousands. i was told that sometimes they arrive early to the area and actually head elswhere or back or something. at best we saw small bands of caribou 5 to 8.my first year guys were driving 5 hours out to the end of the lg-4 road to a damn every day because the outfitter told them that was there only chance. what a liar. guys figured it out quick! DONAT just didnt want angry hunters in camp all day. i fish the salmon river in new york and the salmon in the fall are in the river or not is my opinion.i deserved a phone call when the caribou were 70 miles out with no frozen lakes to cross!!!! despite what the outfitter told me and my brother we got up and hunted like deer hunting. meaning we were out the door at 4.30 in the morning way before the masses. got out of our truck when we spotted a good crossing around the side of a small frozen lake. hiked down and set up in the snow with harris bi-pods attached to our rifles. the problem with this type hunting is when you ask someone who has hunted them in prime conditions ( all the references they give you) they think they got it all figured out and all is great. they have some down right bad! seasons up there just expect it. when they are there you can shoot big bulls outside your door. just go with a good attitude and be SAFE! i only saw guys from the MIRAGE out in the area i was hunting . there are different zones but i dont know which camp hunts what area? i wouldnt mess around for the extra 100$ or 2 the mirage is worth the hot meals alone. LET US KNOW HOW IT WAS IF YOU GO. BEST OF HUNTING
Old 03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Appreciate all the gvood input LO. Mirage has no openings when we can go and Otis seems to think Nouchimi is a good outfitter. Money was almost exactly the same. Going to approach the area with the utmost respect thanks to all you guys. I bowhunt Illinois every year on a lease with plenty of 150+ bucks on it but I'm almost getting more cranked about this hunt! Guess its the new adventure.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Otis, Actually I did talk to Nouchimi for awhile and they were very helpful. I m going into this understanding that success depends on whether the animals are there, period. So long as the accomodations are clean and comfortable and the food is decent we'll be fine. Personally would have rather had an outpost cabin but they were all taken. Looks like there will be 3 or 4 of us. Some of you fellas have mentioned the Ptarmigan hunting as well. Considering that each gun brought in costs us $50 Can. should we all bring shotguns as well or will we be OK to share say 1 shotgun/ 2 guys? (Most of us are bowhunters and we intend to bring the bows but will take our rifles just to be sure we bring home something if the numbers are few and the caribou are distant)

CANT WAIT!

Otis, if you ever want to come to Illinois to chase big whitetails be sure to look me up. Got a lot of good contacts out there!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not in the habit of wishin my life away, but you're making me wish it was December already!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

you may want to consider a rack for your suv or pickup truck cap. i got a thule brand cargo basket for my bronco. if you plan on bringing back your caribou whole as many do. you just need a couple strong backs to get your caribou up on it. you can also get one of those hitch hauler baskets or do what i did. get 2 of them and put them together to make a bigger carrier for your hitch. they also make receivers for the front of the truck which allowed me to put a big cooler on. it makes for more room inside the truck. you can also check with the dennis kirk snowmobile catalog for an item they sell. its a self tapping screw with a diamond head that goes into the meat of you tire tread . there called skegs and people use them on there snowmobile tracks but was told people use them on there tires also. im gonna look into this as an alternative to chains and keep a set of them on a spare set of tires. the last 200 miles is a dirt road that was down right scary and extremely icy. its no fun crawling at 30 mph for hours. dont expect to get lucky with the weather plan ahead. they dont get a ton of snow but they do get a storm every now and then.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Were planning to haul a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a snowmobile inside. Figure all those caribou we're going to kill will be way better off if not exposed to road slop on the way home. Just as worried about a heavy early snow around the great lakes, Nipissing, and Georgian bay as anything else. Will probably opt for the tire chains though!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.