Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

my guide that year had several vehicles do the same thing. hunters parked there vehicles only to find them slip off the road on there own. this was middle of november but it was still bad when i went in december. i brought 2- 30 foot lengths of chain and a winch just in case. i love being self sufficiant. dont follow any vehicles too close. there were many cracked windshields from rocks and gravel being thrown. my bronco had several areas on it that looked like it was sand blasted when i got home . i even had part of my rear brake line that cuts across the differential worn down to nothing that leaked. luckily i got it home so you might want to check your lines and bring a compression fitting just for emergency use. if your going with a group i would rent a satellite phone for the week. i think its like 150$ and you get a couple hours.your smart to bring a trailer. the sand just gets into everything. i would bring as much gas as possible with a trailer because you wont make some in between villages without it not to mention there gas is bad and expensive.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry Guys, been gone 4 days! Out in Illinois looking at new lease and hunting sheds.

Otis I'm coming from Pittsburgh and will be coming through New Liskeard.
We can get there in 15/16 hours in the summertime. I go past it each June on a fishing trip to Matachewan (Ontario) Good ideas on the spare parts guys!. Will be takin lotsa gas as well. We're thinking of doing a long drive the first day and then grabbing a room, getting a decent nights sleep and driving on into the wildest area in the daylight. Would Matagami, Cadillac or Val D'or be close enough to the hunting area that we could stop over there then get the rest of the way there the next day while still traveling in daylight? (Of course I realize weather can change things)
Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

found some of my notes. on the route heading up there. first you have the city of Valdor then next is the village of Amos on route 111. these are good for gas stops and have motels but are very far from the camp. from route 111 it turns into route 109. next is the village of MATAGAMI then there is a gas stop and motel further up at marker km 381. just to let you know FROM MATAGAMI TO KM 381 IS ABOUT a 5 HOUR DRIVE. FROM THE KM 381 GAS AND MOTEL STOP IS 7 HOURS TO THE MIRAGE. your hunting camp might be AN HOUR OR SO QUICKER i think. if you can drive through to the km 381 IN ONE SHOT that would be about 20 to 24 hours im guessing. the phone number i have for the motel at km 381 is 819-638-8502 I WOULD BET YOU WOULD NEED TO RESERVE WAY IN ADVANCE SO DONT WAIT.THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE MOTEL AT MATAGAMI IS 819- 739- 2501 . i drove straight through with my brother and it is a hell ride. we stopped only once for 2 hours in the parking lot of km 381 and froze out butts off. i cant stress any more about keeping a regular normal sleep drive routine or you first day of hunting you will feel like your beat up.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, I cant tell you how much I appreciate all the help! How many hours from New Liskeard to Matagami?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 AM

Yes that hunt can be done on your own i know my dad did it and he said that he saw tonnes on caribou and he shot to dandy's.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, found a great printable map of the James Bay and Trans Taiga roads at www.creetourism.ca
Old 05-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey gang, got another question.... Looks like our second vehicle will be a deisel pickup. Already checked and all the important fuel stops have deisel fuel. Anyone here who has done this drive with a deisel? Any special problems???
Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.