Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Spike

Perrywinkle

I didn't hunt birds, but I did see many. The guys I hunted with last time shot their 2 caribou each and left to go back the second day after I took mine. It really was a disappointing trip for me since it was my first time and we still had 3 nights left at Mirage. This time I will hunt for ptarmigan. .22 or shotgun will do the trick. Also some spruce grouse up there. I didn't see any regulations about not being able to use radios. You should be able to take one with a bow. One of the guys in our group was set up to shoot his caribou at up to 300 yards and the nicest bull he took walked out 35 feet in front of him on a trail the caribou were using to cross a creek. He had to dial down his scope to the lowest setting so he wouldn't just see hair at that distance. You still have to wear orange when archery hunting with your compound bow. No crossbows allowed from what I read in the regs. the ptarmigan limit is 10 per day and a 30 bird possession limit.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Spike

Your hunt you just talked about was that on a winter hunt or sept hunt?you said bull crossed creek ? cross the ice? When you go with mirage on winter hunt is it for week or three days??
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Spike

The caribou were crossing the lakes and the creeks on the ice. We were walking on the lakes as well. Be careful around the creek because there are some place were the ice is not good. Basically if the caribou are walking on it should be good enough for a hunter. bring a plastic sleigh to drag out your caribou. You can tie up the hind legs of the caribou to the antlers or head and the animal is compact enough to put in a sleigh. Mirage was a 5 day and four night hunt. But this year for $800.00 less including my licence I can stay at Donat Asselin's and warm up my meals.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Spike

From what ive read mirage is great but donat is a place to stay.Not looking for a resort. You guys add little things everytime that i would never have thought of...Thanks (Watch thin ice!)
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

perrywinkle one year we watched caribou fall thru the ice so be very carefull caribou disperce their weight out more when they walk rather than a human kinda like a bull dozer. Those caribou that went thur never made it out and i am not making it up it was hard to watch but thats the nature of the beast up there.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Spike

Thanks i will !!!!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Perriwinkle get a fat cow for tender meat...

Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Spike

One in my party may not be able to go..can my 14 year old son be old enough to go? Ill take cow for meat unless two big bulls get with in 50 yrds!! Hows weather cold i hope?? have you heard anything where herd is?? thanks for the post ... I'M GETTING READY...
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

perrywinkle i can't see why ur 14 year old son can't go..and yes i checked the satelite map ,and the caribou are comming down ..they are near the RESERVOIR LAFORGE 2 ...click on link below ....

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/w...ribou/maps.jsp
Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Spike

You have read these maps before ... Looks like they should be there when we get there in three weeks?? Thanks so much !!!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.