Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks for the replies gentlemen on the "problem" situations. I have made the trip twice so far and have had the samebasic agreement. I guess that I was just wondering a bit about if something major happened such as a blown transmission or engine that may require huge tow bills and repair bills that were not covered by warranty or insurance. The smartest thing I believe would be to try to have a vehicle that is still under warranty. When I took my older suburban I guess that I kind of felt that I wouldn't have expected my parters to cover the cost of a major repair on a vehicle with over 100k on it already, but never reallytalked aboutthe major problem. We were not all longtime pals so I'm not sure what would have happened.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Spike

Just in case anyone out there may be looking for a last minute booking at the Mirage I am willing to take a $400 beating on my Luxury room for 2 Nov 26-29, leaving by noon on the 30th. A 3rd or 4th can be added if you don't mind sleeping together in a double bed. I will transfer my reservation to you for what I paid on deposit less $400. The balance will be due to Mirage 10/10/2008. Pm me for more details. This deal gets you a luxury room, 2 double beds, private bath, tv and internet access, for less than a regular room.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

are they headed south yet?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM

I have a question; I am going to Kisk on Nov. 30 thru Dec. 4, with a group of 8. I asked about snowmobile rentals and was told you don't know if they're necessary until just before you leave. Unfortunately if you want to be sure of getting one you must reserve ahead. My question is, if we reserve two-up models, how many do we really need for 8 of us? Can we use them to shuttle several hunters, or will we need 4 sleds? Any information you can give me on this issue would be really appreciated.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like theMigration is following last years route more and more. If they all move up into the Tasiujaq areas and huddle like 2007, I think we will see them move down on LA1-LA2 giving us the mass of animals moving thru from 3rd week Nov to 2nd week of Dec. Weather focast is simiar to last year with some more snow that will only slow them down a little. I keep seeing bou from my tree stand in NH - need to keep focused.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

If the migration holds out you will not even need sleds - the road up top last year was active with animals crossing right at this time. You wont need to look far to find them but if you want to head into the bush on some main trails you can easily take a group out with a couple of 2 ups and some (like me) can ride in the sleds going out - depends on the distance. Below (SW) of Kisk is alot of area and last year they hugged the LA2 area more than the Kisk side, so I think you would be comming across LA1 to the Laforge Road and down - so you might as well take your truck. The road to LA2 is also a good bet from the dam.

Watch the migration as compared to 07. You can always cancel the snow machines if reserved as long as you do it before you arrive- I think this is still a rule with Paul?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info.. I'll check with Paul.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM

I was looking at the satellite migration site, and it appears the animals are more north than other years, and actually moving further north. Is this something that could be a problem for the upcoming season?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

No - actually they are a little ahead of last year with the shift to the north - maybe 2-3 weeks. What happens is they move south in the early fall for browse and then since it is still warm and the browse is needed, they head up into the LRV and hang there until the food gives up and the snows/cold start. Then they move in a nice path, right thru LA1, hopefully when we are there!

This pattern has been a successful pattern for a later NOV to 1st week of DEC for hunting off the road. When the mass has moved thru, the animals are sparse but can be found if the small pods are not pushed out too far by the snow machines. The pattern for2004, 2005, and 2006 was much different then this common pattern and the hunting was difficult. In thisodd pattern they seemed to hang along the Bay and cross the road ~ LG3 and West outside the zone for most. These years left many skunked - I think the rate in 2006 @ Mirgage was .33 per hunter from 30 NOV - 10 DEC, where last year it was 1.85 -which counts thems passing up / not optingfor 2 animals, and there are some that just get tired, run out of time looking for a trophy, etc.

I see this as a good pattern this year, as long as they do not come down too early - could be good for the 1st hunt on 15 NOV but I am hoping they wait for 2 weeks! Another good part of this heard is that is has grown, so the back side of the migration has more animals as well as the pass through time is longer - I think last year the main heard was 14 days- and that was a great hunt, many big animals and it was really something see.

Bring you snow shoes the forcast is for ~80cm by end of Nov - should be warmer though.6 weeks and counting...

Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I was up for the first hunt in 2006. On the way in there were plenty of animals along the road in 22A, and they appeared to be doing well. Unfortunately they were few and farbetween in 22B. We did end up taking 14 for the 9 of us, but we really had to work for them. Most were taken above LA1, and a couple on the lakesjust south and east of the dam.We're coming up with 10 guys Nov. 30 thru Dec. 4 this year, and staying at Kisk, and would really like to see the main herd as others here have described. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.