Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

The road above the dam to kisk will be loaded and we have had the best luck - no fishcops and easy hunting along small ponds -We have bagged somebig bullsand I think we will also headup there from Mirage. Last year wehunted 14 klicks est of Mirage and only used a few liters of gas - this year we are heading uptop. I have a Green2001 Frontier with aback and rails built - be there the same time andwe can stop as say howdy! I will bring the Caribou jerky - real spicy but good for the cold weather.

Let me know what you guys are driving -
Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

I'll be driving an 08 F250 diesel, crew cab, 8' bed with toneau cover, maroon with tan lower accent and NY plates. The jerky sounds good. I'm sure we'll have something with us that we could share also. I'll be looking for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Well I just got through most of the 177 pages and I think you guys have me hooked for an 09 hunt!

I've always wanted to go for Caribou but can't seem to find anyone to tag along. I'll be working on that for the next year.

You guys have posted some great info and ideas to get ready for an adventure. I'd love to tag along if anyone has an open spot. I'm in Ottawa and can either speak french or english.

I do have some questions... How late can you go hunting for them? Other than the bitter cold of January / February is it still worth going for the hunt?

Is it worth going with the guided route vs. the drive and stalk by yourself approach? From what I've read, I haven't really been able to figure out the benefit of a guide. But I may be wrong on that.

Thanks for the great reading!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Spike

Good luck this year boy's, hope you all have problems transporting massive racks!My team won't be up this year but well see you in 09. As you guy's return post pic's for us every other year guy's.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM

how many feel they will be on the road by the 15 th ?? or close to it
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I think that they will still be uptop, but close to LA2. The pattern looks close to last year - they started down this last posting, butthey seemed to stopwhihc is good. The first week of NOV 07 they started down hard and were about@ 55.5 just above Caniapiscau and by 15 NOV they were just comming into LA2, which is a good hunt, just have to drive a little piece down the road. I recall some guys reporting thatit was snowing real heavy and the animals were bedding in the road and looked like big rocks all coverd with snow - I thinkthat was the 15-19 NOV leg. If they stay up for another week before a big move it should be close to last year. Its also not real cold - a little above last year this time -and they tend to get pushed into the treeline with the snows. Cover has easy browse and some protection for the calves. When they hit the treeline they should hang a little which give some good opportunities.

The indians told meLaforge wasa well worn path for migration long before the HQC guys built thedams. As long as nothing hits them hard to push them West, they will take this route along the ridges from LRV into Laforge.

Looking forward to the stories for the early hunts!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Question. I am going to Kiski. What do I put on my Canadian firearms form? I cant remember what I used in 06, and can't find the old form.
I'm thinking, "Kiskimaastakin Camp, LA 1 Road, James Bay area". Does that sound good?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

That suould be good. I always put Mirage Outfitter, James Bay, Quebec. I did a fly in the last week in September. We were about half way between the 56th and 57th parallel. It was a great hunt and we all tagged out in our camp but the animals were still north. In fact the week after we left they went way back north. According to the last map they seem now to be close to last years pattern. We shall see in a few weeks. See you at Mirage on Nov. 30.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks a lot. One more month, I'm really starting to get excited.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Spike

hunch who did you book with for the fly in hunt? i am doing one next august with my son and brother. also supposed to get 2 days to fish. did you get any big ones? thanks, bob

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.