Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

luv2hnt we saw a lot of ptarmigan but not many spruce grouse i only shot three of them but we slayed the ptarmigan watch along the roads there were groups of 10 to 15 at times you should hit it pretty good they should be crossing the main road between laforge 1 and km 450 that was the main herd that we hunted that was migrating and boy it was a sight to see the guides at the mirage said in their 10 years of guiding they have never see that big or a migration before it was unbelieveable not a lot of huge bulls that we saw a klot of them had lost their horns allready but you will get them.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM

fire3517 How did you manage to get those caribous back to mirage with all that snow? I wish I could have been their this year $ , maybe next year !
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

harness racer we pulled 10 caribou by ski doos in sleds back to the main road where we could finally load them into the truck we had to break a trail just to get the trucks back to the main road also. The Transtaiga road was the only plowed road at the time. It was a chore let me tell you.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

The Transtaiga Rd. and the La 1 road are the only roads that will be plowed for the rest of the winter.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM

How far up LA1 road will they plow? How far along the Transtaiga?
There be 2 of us hunting out of Mirage DEC 4,5,6,7, Is anyone else going to be up there at that time.
We're staying in Matagami on the 2nd and Radisson on the 3rd.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Surreel they will plow and maintain all of the Transtiaga road and probally up to the hydro quebec stations and la1 and la2 but thats all the rest will be all snow machine accessable you possibly might make it up to Kisk camp on la1 which is km66 but that will be it

Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

bob in pa; how did other groups at kiskimaastikan do, while you were there? Were others seeing more caribou than you were?

Second groups of huntersshould be arriving home any day now; hoping for some good updates from them.

Leaving Saturday, hoping big herds are still accessable when we get up there.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

By Dec. 4th there should be no need to go past the LA 1 dam. The annimals should be crossing the Transtaiga Road from Mirage to km 500 or so. Looking at the map I believe they will be crossing the road in fairly significant numbers within days if not already.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Spike

Where's the pics!!!!4 more days to go and I will be there. Yahoo!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

At km 544 off of James Bay Road is the Trans-Taiga Rd and it's always been plowed to about the 560 km mark on the Trans-Taiga. There's people who live and work at the Hydro dams. They have to be able to get in and out. LA-1 starts at 395 km off the Trans-Taiga. It's 42 kilometers to the dam. Kisk is at 63 km and that is usually also plowed. They also have to be able to get in and out. They're not going to have trucks and trailers, etc. parked all over that road. I've been up there in July, Feb. etc and the roads have always been plowed. Obviously if there's a big snowfall it takes a while. The DOT garage is on the Trans-Taiga.If you get 14 or 18 inches of snow, which is quite common here, you just have to wait till they get it plowed.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.