Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-26-2004, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Is it not advisable to wear your orange vest while driving in the vehicle in route to your site?

Looks like these are main regs to follow:

No alcohol during the hunt;
Wear an orange vest;
Don't shoot game on or from the road;
Tag fallen game immediately;
Field dress (gut) game where they fall (instead of near the road);

No Canadian mountie jokes.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, LA
Old 08-26-2004, 03:35 PM

Good question about the orange vest while driving......

What about wearing an orange hat is that a law or regulation?

I got the .30-06, with the Leupold VXII, 3x9x50 ready to go.....Man I wish it was Dec. 2-5 already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really just Oct. 1st for bow season here in Indiana......I have my eyes on a nice 10 pointer, 150-160 class that has been hanging out at one of the farms I hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is better then SEX!!!!!!!!!!! Or least the enjoyment and excitment is longer.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:37 PM

I hope my dates aren't too late for a nice mountable bull............................anyone got a nice one around or close to these dates?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:43 PM

My understanding from the regs and from reading the postings on this board from guys who have made the trip is that a blaze orange hat is _not_ a requirement. The blaze vest is, and my understanding is that it applies not only while you are walking through hunting territory, but also while you are in a blind or stand of any kind. Once you're in hunting territory the blaze vest had better be on you and worn correctly.

Sometimes those of us trained in the infantry take our blending in a little too far, and take the vest off once in the blind or stand. Works well down here, but not advisable in Canada where the game wardens take exception to the practice.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 08-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Terry, and all you others that've been there.... is a portable ground blind useful or just excess baggage?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not bother with a ground blind. You need to be mobile so you can move around to where they are. This is not like a deer that you figure out and it comes to you. You see them, and set up an ambush. Snow camo is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

A portable ground blind is excess baggage. Caribou don't spook like deer. They will walk around you if they see you but not very far. They will come within 30 yards or even closer at times if you don't make sudden moves. I saw a guy last year put his hands over his head to imitate antlers and he walked within a few feet of a calf.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just ordered the snow camo. Sportsmans guide has a closeout on Walls snow camo coveralls designed to go over your regular stuff for half price. Will leave the blind behind. I intend to bowhunt, but the .270 will be along for the ride. Cant decide whether to try bowhunting first and grab the gun if it proves tough to get close or take the rifle out and shoot the first one and then chase the second one with the bow.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

I would not bother with a ground blind. You need to be mobile so you can move around to where they are. This is not like a deer that you figure out and it comes to you. You see them, and set up an ambush. Snow camo is the way to go.
Terry, would you recommend snow shoes?

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana
Old 08-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Terry, would you recommend snow shoes?
We always brought snow shoes. It can make travelling alot easier out there. What it can do for you is pack down a trail that you can slide a tobaggon or caribou down a little easier if you get far from the road. We never went very far through the bush but we did go in deep by walking down frozen lakes. Snowshoes don't take much room in a truck. If you have em bring em.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.